Chapter 33 Mrs?

~3 months later~

God thank universe, since our exams are coming up they have cut us some slack, but god the seminars in online medium is a boon and a bane.

Like thank god I am not standing in front of over hundred people and presenting, but the fact that anyone can unmute and ask me questions is a nightmare in disguise. I have to have keep the camera switched on all the time, I cannot see anyone's face, how many unfair rules. It's truly scary but my introvert self is rejoicing, like yay I can wear pajamas and present happily.

On the other note, I am a married woman can you believe it, the fact that it took me over two weeks to start believing it is just funny to me. The other day when I was filling out a form and it asked my marital status, I happily ticked single and when I was about to submit it, it striked me and it was too late for me to make the changes.

The thing is our marriage is actually not registered, we haven't signed any documents. This is actually an issue because the other day my mom was asking me to share the marriage certificate as it is always better to have a digital copy for safety reasons some reason she said, I was just panicking after the question I didn't pay heed to any other stuff.

I just dodged of the question saying I am busy will send later kind. But I don't know for how long we can pretend. I mean for now the fact that we are married is only a make believe for my family and his, is not helping. There is still a lot of people around us asking what happened to our marriage, is it cancelled or postponed. We are just giving them vague answers and buying time. I don't know when all of this lies is going to bite our backs.

This lockdown is helping us as we can always say the document went missing in the mail or the processing time is longer than usual to our family, but what about others.

I am going home finally after weeks, I am just too tired to even eat and freshen up. But it has been one week since I have had proper meal.

Plus we have to move into our new apartment this week, I know we thought earlier, it's better of to live in our own houses but then slowly all the restrictions are being taken away plus there is pressure from both of our families to see us in our new house.

Actually it is a gift from Mr. Carter, James's father. Actually James tried his level best to convince his dad and manipulate him to not to buy this place. But it was all in vain.

That's why I took one week off in addition to my study vacation.

I am going to meet James after a month cause our last visit was very confusing yet comforting, we both avoided each other like plague for weeks now.

I came home after a very bad surgery, the patient died on table due to errors that took place in communication between the microbiology and our department. There was a delay in getting the report and the patient's condition was worsening if we didn't start the intervention.

Basically both our departments was to blame, due to simple miscommunication we lost a patient. So I was already on a bad mood; cause as usual the senior doctors put all the blame on us and screamed at us for no good reason.

It was so bad that one of my male colleague started crying on the spot and ran out of the room, I was just too numb as this was my first on the table death I witnessed.

So the drive back to my house was itself a blur, so as I entered I was so much in my head, I didn't even notice James sitting in my room. I was in midway of undressing when I heard a clear of throat noise, I didn't even startle and just nodded my head at his direction.

His face was pink and he was scratching his head as he was looking down, I simply went into my bathroom and after few minutes when I came back he was nowhere to be found, my house help said he left without saying anything.

After few hours, I was not able to sleep and was twisting and turning in the bed. The cries of the patient's family as I told them we lost him was resonating in my ears. How much ever I told myself it was not my mistake, I was just pushed into this rabbit hole of what if's and in no time, the clock struck three and I was wide awake.

Out of nowhere the waterworks started and I cried with my heart out, I screamed into the sheets and I didn't even know when the sleep overtook me.

In the morning, I was not able to open my eyes, my alarm rang and I switched it off, after writing a lousy message of request of leave to the department secretary and slept the morning away.

In the afternoon, a loud knock in my door, broke of my slumber. I raised my head from the pillow with atmost difficulty to see who it was. I thought if it was my house help, I would ask her to take leave as all of a sudden I wanted to be all by myself.

But to my surprise, there was a six foot tall man clad in expensive suit but unlike the usual expression he wears, his face wore an expression I never thought in hundred years he will have, it was concern and worry if I must say.

We never know it could be my cloudy and hazy mind playing games at me, but as I saw his face, the water works started yet once again and I plunged my head into the pillow, hiding my ugly face from him.

In just no time, my duvet was pushed to the side and he placed my head on his lap. This gesture made me feel so safe, for no reason and I just cried my heart out and he just let me as he rubbed soothing circles in my back and I just hugged his hips and cried away.

After ten to fifteen minutes, he said, "Emma, please eat something, your house help told me that you haven't eaten since you came home. If this continues, you would be in bad shape, I don't know what happened but I don't think so torturing yourself is the solution to your problem." His words didn't make sense to me but I just understood about one thing that this was just the beginning and I am yet to witness many such moments in my life that would question my sanity and the very meaning of the purpose of my life.

I immediately got off the bed  and my body swayed a little, but James held me in the right moment and as I opened my eyes again I met with his grey concerned eyes and I don't know what took over me, I just had this sudden urge to kiss him.

As I was about to place my lips on his cheeks, his lips found mine, we shared a gentle yet comforting kiss.

All of a sudden, I thought this is what I yearned for all my life, a comfort at the time of need, something to come back home to. A motivation to move forward, if you would have told me few months back, that I would think James in the above mentioned terms I would have booked you a psychiatric appointment but here I am in his warm embrace with tear stricken face and full heart, thinking maybe it was not a bad decision of marrying this annoying yet confusing person. If this was what marriage is all about, I didn't mind to share that with this man right here.

____________________________

Hi guys! Hope you all are doing well? I was little under the weather for few days, that's when I thought why not use this  time and update a chapter here.

With love
Xoxo