Chapter 2 Just what?

I walk down the stairs and to my utter shock there were literally thousands of people. To say the party was huge is understatement and I am sure I don't know half of these people. But I try to put on a genuine smile and walk down the stairs, I can hear the anchor of the evening say "There comes the birthday girl, ladies and gentlemen, let the party begin!" Backed up by drumrolls.

After 1000's of wishes and handshakes, I can hear the band start playing soft jazz in the background. My feet is already hurting and I regret of wearing these though it made me look tall it was killing my feet I can feel a blister forming on my heels.

I was currently talking to a 50 year old lady who is playing matchmaking and is talking about her very successful son in London. I nod my head and sip on my red wine. Through my periphery I can see my mom and dad dancing and laughing in the dance floor. It was a sight for the sore eyes. I sighed and looked at them. That time I heard a voice say "It's rude to stare you know?"

Perfectly knowing who this devilish voice belongs to I excuse myself and turn around to see my beautiful best friend and partner in crime since university Emily Taylor. She was one of a kind, she is a successful criminal lawyer and always helps me in the lawsuits.
She is clever and manipulative but a total bae. I smile at her and say "Well well who is there being late to the party?"
She chuckles and says "What to say girl, I am a woman with duties and needs!"

She winks at the end and I understand from her crumbled jumpsuit and her hair which looks a little ruffled but looks like someone had a booty call. I say "Girl when will you start learning to keep your legs crossed?"

She shakes her head "Emma I am just fishing for the best fish in the pond, you know the tastiest and juiciest. The moment you put it in your mouth it slides in like velvety." Truly knowing what she is implying and totally making me gag at seeing fishes for life. I shush her up for which she laughs and says "Emma you are 26, cut it loose what if you drown yourself in work and finally when you try to resurface there will be no oxygen which and all the fishes die and you won't get to taste the meat."

I gag at her sentences and say "I should let my grandma listen to your awful talks she will drench you in holy water!"
She shrugs and says "Girl you know what I want to be drenched in!" And again winks at me and starts twerking to make it clear. I just shake my head and go towards my sweet grandma.
She is 72 years old, but still is active and very healthy, you can see the wrinkles on her beautiful face. But she still has a heart of a 2 year old.

She is so active and lively. It makes me so jealous of her sometime.

She hugs me and says "Emma what a beauty you have to become, we have to tie you down before some random hawk fetches you and runs away. Did you see the eligible bachelors literally eye rapping you." She motions her hand at some random dude and poor guy seeing us turn to him pours the champagne onto his suit, which I knew cost him a fortune.

Shaking my head I turn back to grandma and say "You should stop talking with Emily she is rubbing of bad energy to you!" She smiles and says "Is she or am I?"

I open my mouth and look at her. She closes it and says "Darling there is time for everything, I am sure you will find the right man and he will sweep you off your feet and you can go have your own fairy tale."

I shake my head and say "Grandma I don't need a man to give me my fairy tale I can make my own!"
She nods her head and says "I know but...."
She is cut off by the anchor telling everyone to be quiet as the cake cutting is going to begin.

I am directed to the stage and I can see this 6 tier long cake that is taller than me. It's a naked cake with fruits and chocolate embedded on them. I take up the knife and I see around to see my mom and dad holding each other with smiles on their faces and mouthing me to make a wish. And at Emily who is throwing her hands up and mouths "Go girl!"

And my grandma giving me a gentle smile. I look at the thousands of eyes on me, where some of them are judging and some of them are smiling. So I finally close my eyes and wish for everything to be same and everyone to be happy and healthy. I open my eyes and blow the candles and I can hear the claps resonating the ball room. I cut the cake.
****

I am officially tired. My legs are bruised for sure. I am finally sitting on a chair in the kitchen, having some alone time and eating the moist birthday cake. Moaning and eating it I can feel my phone vibrate in my purse so putting the last spoon of the amazing cake into my mouth I take my phone. I am not surprised to see it's my mom. I pick up the phone and she says "Emma darling where are you?"

I say "I went to the loo mom I will be there in a minute."
I didn't wanted to say my mom I felt self conscious of eating in front of people. So I was eating in the kitchen like a loner away from the prying eyes.

So after straightening my dress and checking myself in the phone camera I head back to the ball room.

I spot my mom and walk towards her she is talking with some handsome man and damn I am sure he had some tasty abs under his tux that's worth millions. He reeled power and confidence and it was a sight to behold of him charming my mother with his talks. I can see my dad talking with a man who seems to be around his age.
So putting my hair behind my ears, I walk towards my mom. I can see the handsome man to look at me and give me the fake smile and judging looks. I knew that this would be his reaction, after all what did I expect him to be wonderstruck by my beauty. I smile at my attempt to humour internally.

I look up to him and say "Good evening , I am Emma her daughter and the birthday girl."
I think I just have to dig myself a hole at my attempt to humour. I can see some what of an expression cross through his face but he goes back to his stone cold demeanour.

My mom smiles and says "Yup she is our beautiful daughter that I was talking about, she is a surgeon in the California state hospital. Have you heard about her."

He nods his head and says "Happy birthday Emma, it's a pleasure to meet the the doctor with magical hands. I have heard a lot about you." He gives me a genuine smile and like a fool I am, I had no idea about him the worst part is I didn't even know his name.

Thank god my mom saved me and said "Excuse us, my husband and I have a announcement to make."

I thought it was the time for them to say about the money that they collected this year and that it's going for the children's cancer research and facility.

I hear a voice saying "Emma right, I think you have something near your mouth!" I turn to ask him where.
When I can hear my dad say "Ladies and Gentlemen thanks for coming to the party we have collected a good amount which is going to the Cancer research facility. I also would like to say that this party was not just a charity event but also my daughter's birthday party."

I smile at him and he raises his glass. But before we could all take a sip. He says "But we have a surprise announcement that my beautiful daughter is engaged to the handsome James Carter who is the CEO of Global Trading and their marriage date will be soon so stay tuned."

Everyone starts talking and people around us start congratulating us. And I turn to see the man who is soon going to be my husband and he raises his hand and wipes the corner off my mouth and says "I guess we are engaged now?"
_________________________________
Hey guys how are ya?
Hope you liked this chapter.
Vote and comment.