Chapter 34 Bad friend

curvybrowngirl     Thanks for your encouraging comment this chapter is dedicated for you! Enjoy all!

After crying for what seemed for hours, I finally raise my face to look at a tired looking James who is barely able to keep his eyes open.

My mouth involuntarily moves up and I slowly get out of his hold. His eyes flutter towards mine and without sharing anything verbally he understood what I wanted to say. He already had his first few buttons of his dress shirt open and his sleeves were folded till his arm.

He kicked of his shoes and placed his head on the pillow and went into deep slumber like no tomorrow. I smiled silently and took in his peaceful sleeping figure. I still can't believe the guy who I thought I hate with my whole heart will actually be someone who was there for me when I really needed someone.

'Sometimes you seek comfort from someone or something you least expect.'

The wise words of my grandma resonates in my mind, she told me this when I was in going through a bad phase during high school. Wiping a lone tear that falls onto my cheek, I freshen up and have some soup prepared by my house help.

I reply to some concerned messages from my colleagues and nurses. As I go down towards the end of the chats, I find one from Emily.

That's when I realize it has been ages since I spoke with her, if I am not wrong the last time we spoke was at my wedding.

As I open the message, I am shocked to see as the message is three months ago and it says, 'Pls Emma call me back soon, I need you!'

I call up her immediately but it goes to voice mail. After leaving 2-3 angry, confused and desperate voice mails.

I resort to calling her mother, her mother picks up the call in few rings, "Hello dear, long time it has been, how are you dear?"

I reply warily at her cheerful voice, "Hello Clara, sorry the work has been taking a toll on me. I am sorry I was not able to meet you the last time I was in town."

"No no, my dear. I am not complaining. I am happy that you called, unlike my daughter who forgot about her mother for months now. I don't even think she cares whether I am dead or alive." She sobs in the end. I get concerned by the change of her emotions. But knowing how tensed she gets often, I try to pacify her by saying, "I am sure Emily has no regards like what you are implying. I am hundred percent sure she is feeling very crappy that she was not able to call you or meet you. You know how she is when she puts herself into work right?"

Her mom silently hums back in response. As my mind starts conjuring all the possible explanations to her sudden absence. With fear in my heart I ask, "When was the last time you spoke with Emily, Clara?"

The reply that she gives makes me lose the grip over my phone, " Three long months ago, my dear, if I am not wrong."

Oh my god Emily! Where the hell are you? What have I done?

***
Being so confused and equally scared, I sit stoic in my couch and someone startles me by placing a hand on my shoulder.

I catch my chest and turn back to look at a sleepy James with his hair poking through all the directions. My eyes glisten involuntarily and I find myself blabbering all that happened so far.

After silently listening to my ramblings, he holds my hand and crouches to my level in the chair and says, "Ok Emma, you don't worry. You go take rest, I will call Sam, do you remember him my friend he is a cop in LAPD. Can you please go now and take some rest for my sake? I will handle this issue. Alright?"

He tells this calmly and I sit being not able to move a single muscle of mine, "James she needed me, that's why she messaged me. But I- I being a bad friend a terrible human being didn't even look at her message. It was fucking three months ago James, three whole months. I don't even know if she is alive anymore. Oh my god, what have I done James? How can I look at Clara? How can I even look at myself in the mirror. I am a murderer aren't I? First I killed my patient now my friend. I am not even worth to be alive anymore. James please do something. I am begging you!" I cry and scream as I fall onto the ground and James quickly embraces me and cradles me.

The last thing I remember before I closed my eyes was, "I am going to kill that bastard who is responsible for all of this." He tells angrily in low voice. I was just too tired to reply or decipher and let sleep overtake me.

***
As I wake up, a silent and dark room welcomes me, I place my hand to the side but it's cold as if no one was there for hours. I switch on the lights and search for my phone, but it's no where in sight. With panic in my heart, I run out of the room to see James typing away in my laptop as he is call with someone.

"Yeah alright! Do as we planned? Again don't take me wrong, but please stick to the plan." After a pause he says, "I know, don't worry, Emma will not know about any of this. I promise." He cuts the call and I take a sharp intake of breath in reflux and he turns back in horror as I slam the door of my room and lock it.

Oh god what is happening? Is James responsible for Emily's disappearance? Why am I to be kept in dark? Am I even safe with James?

With all these thoughts and the continuous thuds and kicks onto the door by a screaming man who I have no idea who he is as I look around to find an escape so that I can know the answers for those question.

___________________________
Hello my lovelies! Hope you all are doing fine! Another update in a week's  time. Who am I? Kidding! Do you like the change in plot? Pls share your views🙌🏻

Lots of love
Xoxo