10 Day 3

"It's oatmeal today," Theodore called out from the kitchen.

I hated oatmeal. I hated how gooey it was and sloshy. But maybe Theodore's oatmeal tastes different.

There were strawberries cut up in small species, different seeds and nuts in small bowls, there were raspberries and apples cut up as well enough for two - when did he have time to make this?

I started eating, making sure my back was straight, and nothing else was off about the way I composed myself.

I tried the oatmeal- but it was to my distaste. I hated it. I started eating more nuts and berries than oatmeal.

"I take it you don't like oatmeal?" Theodore asked me, his tone casual.

"Not usually what I eat for breakfast." I tried.

"But do you enjoy it?" He pressed.

"To be honest, it's not my favorite thing in the world." I laughed, trying to brush it off.

He hummed, "Well, you should still eat it. It's healthy for you."

"I think I'll just nibble on some fruit." I laughed again.

He looked at me, like I was a child that was misbehaving and said, "That's not breakfast. Eat. All of it. You need your strength." 

I sighed in defeat. As I continued eating, Theodore finally broke the silence. "I hope the oatmeal isn't too much of an inconvenience for you," he said, his tone gentle yet strict.

I smiled at him, "No it's fine."

After a while, I put the empty bowl in the sink, showing Theodore.

"Good girl." He praised, his hand brushing my back.

Something always happened to me when he touched me or praised me. It washed away all of the previous inconveniences we had. He had me wrapped around his finger. Hypnotized. He was doing something to me.

The feeling of his hand against my back lingered, as we finished cleaning up the kitchen.

"Let's discuss your to-do list for today." He said, gently taking my hand just below his shoulder and leading me to the living room.

"Okay,"

I sat down on the antique red couch, which he had sat in the armchair in front of me, legs crossed, leaning back.

"Today, I would like you to clean the kitchen floors, and wipe the counters and tables as well as the piano in this room. I want you to sweep the kitchen and the dining room as well. You will organize the pantry, and all of the windows in the house, apart from Madam's of course."

"Okay," I said.

He gave me a look.

"Okay, Theodore." I breathed in sharply. I hated messing up. I was supposed to address him directly - that was one of the rules.

"Good. I will come to get you when it's time for lunch and dinner."

"Will there be leisure time again?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yes, there will be." His eyes shone.

I smiled, looking away.

"Lily-Ann" He started carefully. I looked at him dropping my smile. "Hasn't anyone ever taught you to look directly at someone once speaking to them? That is one of the rules."

"Yes, sorry Theodore."

He hummed.

"We'll have to brush up on your manners my dear. I will give you a book to help you."