20 Weak

I was in the sea, floating.

I felt at peace, and breathing felt like a forgotten dream.

The sun kissed me with millions of freckles. I had forgotten that the sun had existed.

I hadn't been outside in weeks. But it was good that I was out here, in the ocean.

Wait. But how did I get here?

That was when I felt shackles seize my wrists and ankles and drag me down.

I woke up gasping.

...

Once I was standing in front of the mirror that I couldn't look at anymore, Theodore had me in his grip, and he was enjoying every moment of it.

He leaned in closer, his hot breath on my neck. "You look beautiful," he whispered. "So elegant and refined." His hands roamed over my body, and I felt sick to my stomach.

He had me in his grasp, and there was nothing I could do to stop him. His eyes were fixated on me, watching me struggle.

I tried to move but the corset was too restricting.

Let me go, I wanted to whisper.

Theodore just stood there, watching me, his eyes filled with an unsettling hunger. Was he really enjoying my suffering that much? Was he that sadistic? My mind was racing with fear and confusion.

Please, I would say, just take it off  I can't take it anymore. I know you actually don't mean any harm.

Instead, I was breathing heavily, my ribs aching. He just chuckled, "Oh, Lily-Ann. You're just not used to it yet. You'll learn to love it, I promise." 

I shook my head slightly, tears starting to well up in my eyes. 

No, please. I can't do this. I can't breathe.

But he couldn't hear my silent pleas. So he just tightened the corset even more, and I felt like I was going to pass out. The pain was unbearable, and I felt like I was suffocating.

...

I was still alive. And that's what was important. I was cleaning. But Theodore started making comments about the way I was doing it.

"Too messy" He would say. "Not clean enough"

"Too rushed,"

Sloppy.

Why have you gotten so lazy?

Do I need to punish you again?

"I asked, do I need to punish you again?"

Oh. Those weren't memories. He was actually saying these things to me.

"No..." I breathed, my voice barely above a whisper.

"I think you do, my darling. I think you need a reminder of your manners, my sweet."

"Theo," I spoke, my eyes fluttering down. "Please. I will be neater I swear. Just don't-don't pu-punish me... I swear I will- I will." I said my voice slurring, stuttering, whispering.

"It's Theodore!" His voice seemed to slap me awake.

"S-so-sorry..."

"Call me Theodore." His tone was angry, eyes on fire. He looked more angry than for anything else I had done; almost offended that I had called him that.

I collapsed on the floor.

When I woke up, I knew I would need to continue cleaning.

...

Then we would dance in the ballroom, which seemed less pleasant every single day.

More comments.

"Stop stepping on my feet!"

"Stand up straight."

"Arms straight!"

He would be on the verge of yelling. I was dancing less and less every day, I was slumping more and more on him instead. I didn't understand why he would make it such a vital thing for us to do every day even though I was so weak. Why not just give up?

...

Before bed Theodore seemed different he was tucking me in bed today.

"You know, there's something so delightful about having a girl under my control. You'll do anything I say, won't you?"

I nodded, feeling a knot form in my stomach. His words were twisting into something more sinister, and I started dreading what he had in store for me.

"Good," he said, his eyes piercing my soul.

I knew I had no choice but to pretend to obey him. He was in control and needed to continue to feel this way. He continued to touch me, but this time, it was more gentle. But though it was gentle, I couldn't relax. He kissed my neck and whispered in my ear.

"My sweet Lily-Ann," he said. "You know what I want, don't you?"

I nodded, feeling the weight of his gaze on me.

"Say it," he commanded.

"For me to do anything you want," I whispered.

"That's right," he said, his hand tracing down my body. "Anything."

I closed my eyes, trying to block out the fear and the pain. I didn't know what he was going to do next, but I knew that I had to be smart.

I knew that all my fighting had to be sneaky. I had to pretend that I didn't know that Madam existed until somehow, I would figure out Theodore's true intentions.

But my patience was running out. Strangely, a sense of anger was overcoming me.