4. Maybe saints and Ketterdam can coincide

A/n - It's really hard writing things like this when Kanej is an awesome ship, also thanks for the lovely comments and votes on previous chapters this was my favourite chapter to write so far so I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have writing it.

We collected together in the morning so Kaz could lay out his ingenious plan to all of us, "Here is the plan for when we are inside, I'll walk the route our target will take from the ballroom to the dinner event and look for an ambush point." I feel a pang of worry in my chest, Kaz can't take his cane with him it will give him away, what happens if it gets too bad? "You should have one of us with you." I suggest to him, he glares at me, "I'll manage." I throw my hands up in surrender while making a mental note to search for him wherever I go. "You can't blow your cover this early, and you also need to plot our escape route, There is a gap in the schedule between events, so they may place her in a room near here, away from the crowd, somewhere safe." he points to a place on the copied map, "This would be where they feel she is most protected and therefore, the best place to grab her, we just need a way to find in, and have someone ready with a distraction to give us cover on our way out." he finishes. "Any questions? No, okay. Practice whatever you need to, just make sure your prepared for tomorrows departure."

We left the next day, I didn't have to wear the orange dress while in the wagon which was a blessing. Kaz told us that he'd enter another way and told me to be "On my best behavior" and that if I attempt to run "Jesper has been reluctantly commanded to shoot me in my ankle" which I doubt Jesper would do considering he's still guilty after me getting shot and that he will "be close by anyways."

"That one is our invitation to perform signed by the Queen." Marko does his best to emphasise 'signed by the Queen.' to show his importance, the guard doesn't seem to care, "This writ allows you access to the grounds, the main ballroom and nowhere else. You are being employed by the Queen, you are not her guests. You are to stay together as a group, at all times. No guns, no knives, no weapons of any kind, It says you have a grisha performer not employed by the General, I'm guessing that must be you." he looks at me, "You use your gift for anything but what you're here for, you're freedom will be stripped from you and you will be in the service of the second army." he explains, "I'm here while I'm indentured to Tante Heleen of the Menagerie in Kerch, that isn't a punishment." I say, "Oh, okay then Whore, you'll be sent back to your mistress after my men are finished with you, if you misbehave." I gulp and stand back grabbing for Inej, he smiles "Punishment for violation of these rules ranges from being fired to being fired upon, apart from the Grisha whore but I've already explained that. Now do we all understand these rules?" we all nod, a commotion behind us draws the guard attention, "No!" a man grunts struggling against the guards, "Oh, for saints sake." the guard exclaims. "The Sun Summoner! I just want to see her!" he tries running again but is cornered by four guards, one of them Kaz, the dread I felt from the guards' threat goes immediately and is replaced with a flutter in my chest. "Enough, do we really need the entire corps for one man." the guard berates them while the man is taken away,  "The rest of you post up now." I look at Kaz, who looks at the guard with a sadistic glint in his eye. I climb back into the wagon and we enter the Little Palace. "(Y/n) are you okay? I can't believe that guard what he said to you was unbelievably cruel" Inej asks me, her hand in mine, "Yeah, I'll be fine, lets just grab the Sun Summoner and get out of here." I reply exasperated. 

I was the second one to perform, first it was an Alina impressionist which was hilarious to watch, and then it was my turn. I dressed in the skimpy orange dress and I was put on the wooden stage. Jesper and Inej both watched, it was comforting but I wished I could Kaz could see me too, maybe it was because he watched me perform it, that seems like the right answer, it doesn't matter we all have more important things to pay attention too.