20. I've got you

Signs of the Hringkralla celebration were everywhere, Fjerdan symbols of pride covered the place; there were shops decorated with wolves, ribbon sown into trees to honour Djel, and one of the bridges was covered in Silver ribbon. If I didn't remember being used so ruthlessly on the night of Hringkralla then I would think all of this was lovely.

The place Kaz brought us wasn't so lovely, it was a run down tavern which smelled like shit, the food was probably the reason. "If I don't want to eat, you know there's a problem." Nina wretched, "We're not here for the food, we're here for the view." And what a view it was, we had a clear, albeit distant, view of the outer gate to the Ice Court and we'd been watching people leaving and entering for about an hour. "We're going to look conspicuous if we don't leave soon." 

"Oh, really? I thought this was the place to be." Nina scowled at my remark, "Maybe they don't have anyone to take to jail." Oh, please, this was normal for Fjerdans, I wonder how many arrests they make a day. I also wonder how many of them get acquitted. "There's always someone to take to jail." Then Kaz threw a book to me, "Hey, what is this for?" 

"Just flip it open to the back." I gave him a questioning look, I thought we were meant to be looking for ways to get in, not read. I went to the last page and saw the writing of what looked to be a sermon, "Have you found religion, Kaz?"

"In you, probably." I ignored the flirting and hid the red that went to my face by lifting up the book, I saw what he wanted me to see. I could see clearly to the outside gate. "Oh, yes, I see my legend right here." 

"An excellent read, isn't it?" He smirked at me and I couldn't help but smirk back but probably for a different reason. I found it ironic that he thought that, if he knew the part that people thought he played in it he would not be smirking. "What does it say?" Jesper asked, I passed it to him and he saw it too. "Where did you get this?" 

"It's called a backless book." and it was fucking awesome, I had to admit it. The pages were filled with sermons but there were two looking glasses which could be used in your secret, "You're brilliant." I exclaimed, he truly was. He never ceased to amaze me. 

~

Kaz was insane, he was genuinely crazy. He planned for us to go into one of the criminal wagons, swap us out for 7 other criminals, I would say we were fucked but I had faith in Kaz Brekker. This would go well, we'd get our money, leave, and then - I have no fucking clue. On one hand, I wanted to stay here, stay with my friends, the people I love. On the other hand, I wanted to go to Ravka, to serve and protect my people under Zoya, maybe I could help rebuild and repent for my own sins and clear my name. I could clear my name and make myself not a monster in the eyes of the majority, it was something I wanted more than anything. If I did leave I would truly miss these people though. I suppose I could come back and see them, Zoya wouldn't keep me trapped in Ravka, she seemed fair, ruthless but fair. "Are you alright?" I looked up at Inej and smiled, "Of course, I'm just wondering what I'd do after all this was done." 

"What are you're options?"

"Ravka, serving under Zoya, or here, with my friends, with you." She sat beside me and I squeezed her hand, "Well, don't worry about staying for me if you want to go to Ravka. I plan to find my family after this, and then stop slavers." Of course she would do the good thing and the thing she deserved. "Captain Ghafa? It has a nice ring to it."

"Serving under Zoya also sounds good for you too. If you want to clear your name, from what I've heard she sounds like the key." She really did, I no longer wanted to be a monster in the populations eyes, I wanted to be the ember rather than the phoenix. "Then it's settled then, have fun under Zoya. I can't wait to hear about all the good things you'd do." She smiled at me then left to Matthias. Yes I would go to Ravka, but I would return, one day.