14. The return of a nightmare

I had stayed as close to Kaz as much as possible. I thought he would hate the close proximity but if he did, he didn't show it. The escape went as well as expected, there wasn't much of an issue apart from Matthias attempting to escape, Nina made him go to sleep though so it was fine.

My feelings for Kaz had started to become more positive again after what he did at the exchange. I know why he paints me the way he does but it destroys me piece by piece, it's nice when he does things like save my life from murderous druskelle.

When we entered the crow club, I had met Wylan. He was a sweet boy and like Jesper said, moderately attractive, he was covered in ash and soot as well. This was probably what happens when you're a demolitions expert who plays with fire. At least I wasn't the only one who could cause bright lights now.

Matthias took some convinving but his pardon did the trick. I liked how honourable and loyal he was, even if it was to Fjerda. It was something new, I liked how innocent it was. He was far from innocent though, my neck is proof of that.

Matthias was untied and we were all introduced I walked out of my protective shell and by that I mean Kaz and the wall, "...And the girl you almost killed is (Y/n), the most powerful Inferni alive." I became incredibly flustered at his words, he genuinely thought that? I felt like a child who had just been introduced to sweets, it was a lovely feeling one I wanted to revel in. "She's a demon who will kill us all." The feeling left at his insult and I wanted to burn the air out of his lungs. "Fjerdan superstition."

"A fact, even with your..." I know what he's about to say when he glances at Kaz so I send a vortex of fire round his lower body, it burned blue like when I saved Kaz's life, interesting, very interesting. "Say another word and I'll send you to your God." I saw myself in the mirror and I saw the monster they all see, my eyes were glowing bright with fury, my teeth were bared, my face tense. Matthias looked terrified. Kaz pulled me back by the scruff of my collar and my concentration broke, Matthias trousers were burned at the ankles and scorch marks covered his entire lower body. I didn't care really, I just didn't want Kaz to see me differently. 

My hands returned to  my sides and I put them in my pockets, there would be repercussions for this. Matthias was our main way into the ice court and I almost killed him. That would be reason for Kaz to shout at me, Nina would also shout at me for that as well, I almost killed the love of her life. The reason was stupid but it was a reason nonetheless. "We should be using Raske." Jesper states, Raske was good but maybe Wylan was better, I didn't know.

"I don't like this." Inej spoke, I had barely been paying attention to her since we got to the crow club, her voice was a comfort to me. "I didn't ask." Kaz states, "Besides, Wylan isn't just good with the flint and fuss. He's our insurance."

"Against what?" Nina asked, her voice was cold, emotionless. Was that due to Matthias being here? "Meet Wylan Van Eck.  Jan Van Eck's son and our guarentee of thirty million kruge." Kaz was going to use him to blackmail Van Eck, threaten him even. "Wylan won't get hurt, will he?" I ask, the boy looked at me with a soft smile, I'm glad someone wasn't pissed at me.

"No, not if his father gives us the money he's promised." Kaz says, his voice dripping with malice. If only he knew why I did it, he didn't seem like the one to like being held by fate or myth, he'd do whatever was in his power to subvert it. He'd probably send me off to Ravka in a heartbeart. 

"Of course you're a councilman's kid." Jesper scoffed and started laughing at the boy, why was he being rude to him? He said he found Wylan attractive, maybe that's all it was. I looked at Wylan and his bright red face looked terrified, his mouth was opening and closing, trying to get a sentence or word out, "You knew?" Of course Kaz knew, he knew everything thanks to Inej and I, mainly Inej. "Why do you think I've been keeping you around?