13. Prison Break

Matthias had to fight wolves. This was cruel, a Druskelle fighting creatures that are sacred to him. I'm glad I don't have a religion, this would truly suck. Nina grabbed Kaz and I moved to get her away, after I learned of his fear of this type of thing I knew that I nor anyone else would do it as long as Kaz felt this way, I owed it to him, "You have to stop this." She said, I send a pulse of heat into her skin and she jerked her hand away, "Calm down. If Matthias wins this fight he gets to be free, just think of that before you start being rash." I was worried she'd slow down my heart rate and kill me but she didn't. She moved back and paid attention to the man she loved fighting the creatures he worshipped. 

He had won but it clearly destroyed the man. When he was announced as the victor tears were streaking down his face, he must feel like a traitor to everything he knows, after killing something so important to him and his home. They took him away and now the prison break begun. "Ready?" he asked all of us, mostly Nina. She nodded, as did we, "The guard first."

"How down?"

"Shut eye." We started making our way to the main cells and were approached by the guard, "Do you need help finding your escort?" 

"No, I had a question, about your mother and whether the rumors are true."The guard blushed and I turned my laugh into a cough, "Never can make it easy, can you, Kaz?" Nina muttered under her breath, the guard drew his weapon, "What did you say? I -" His eyes drooped and he toppled forward. Muzzen grabbed him when he toppled to the floor to make sure there is no unwanted attention. We change the guard's clothing to Kaz's own costume revealing his guard's uniform. It was always quite amusing to know he just has this and other uniforms in his wardrobe, Kaz has duped so many pigeons thinking they were crows. Maybe they were, but they were all pigeons to Kaz. 

We continued along the prison looking for Matthias' cell and eventually found it. Kaz picked the lock with profound expertise and I was surprised. The rewards for the Hell Show sounded so pleasant, this was not. Apparently better cells was basic needs as a human being, I wonder what the other cells are like if this classes as good. I stood by Kaz's side away from the druskelle as Inej assessed Matthias' injuries and Nina replicated them onto Muzzen. It seemed cruel to do it to Muzzen, he was loyal and good at his job, now he'd be stuck here. He would make it, then he'd be rewarded well by Kaz.

Nina went to heal Matthias, Kaz had instructed mobile, not strong enough to escape or kill us. If he tried I was on guard, I cared for all of the people in this room, Kaz, Nina, and Inej were my favourite people in this god forsaken world. Kaz may get on my nerves and make me want to turn him to ash but I would die for him if necessary then Nina and Inej were my bestfriends, sisters I never wished for but still got. "Helvar." she tried to wake him, he didn't stir. "Matthias." She tried using his actual name, nothing happened. She did it again, this time something did happen. "Nina?" 

In a matter of seconds he had her pinned to the floor and his hands wrapped round her throat. Kaz gave me the go ahead and I sent a tendril of flame round his throat. "Get off her, now." I command him, "Witch." he spit at one or both of us, "Beg me." He turned back to Nina, "Beg me for your life."

"Get off her, now." I tightened the flame noose and he screamed in pain, I hated that I enjoyed it, this was the type of thing monsters enjoyed, everyone thought I was and I wanted to prove them wrong, fate had other plans for me it seems. He moved back holding his throat, I drew the flame back into my finger. "Phoenix child." he stated, taking one look into my eyes, come on, they've got to have something more creative than this. I hated the nickname, not just because I felt it was bullshit but it was just so literal, can't they have something more interesting. People have been calling me a Phoenix for my entire life, my mother, Heleen, the fucking darkling, literally everyone, could someone think of something more original? "Druskelle." If we were supposed calling eachother by what we were or supposedly were in my case, I'd play along. 

He charged me and before I could react he had me pinned to the wall his hands now round my own throat. My mask fell off and he sneered at my face, I was glad this man was no different than all the others, apart from Kaz, he didn't care for my looks and always had his stoic facial expression, or his smile, that was my favourite. Nina was on the floor still struggling to breathe, Kaz pointed a gun to his head and I felt safe for some reason. I tried to channel the flame but I couldn't, he was squeezing my energy from me as well as my life. "Go ahead and shoot me, I will kill this monster and die with pride in my heart. My sacrifice will have saved mankind." This was what everybody thought. Kill the girl with orange eyes and the ability to conjure fire without a trigger and you become a hero. It was bullshit, there is a reason it's called a legend, a myth, I'm special, yes. But I wasn't created by a vengeful God, this was made just to make  Ravkan children piss themselves into being good. 

"If you've actually lost your mind this was going to be a lot harder than I thought." Kaz said to the man, my vision was going dark. I was dying. "Kaz -" I called for him.

Kaz POV -

My heart was racing, she couldn't use her gift and I was now her only hope. I am certain that I can save her but I will be watching over her while the Fjerdan is with us. I won't lose her like I lost Jordie. 

The thought of my brother, using his lifeless body to get back to shore, my rebirth gave me enough strength to punch the soldier in the shoulder as hard as I could. His left arm loosened round her throat but the right persisted, shit. I yanked him by his collar in his weakened state and threw him to the ground next to the struggling Nina. (Y/n) dropped to the floor breathing heavily, she was succeeding in keeping her eyes open and that was all I cared about, that she survived. I wanted to go to her, hold her, soothe her, tell her she was safe, that I wouldn't let any harm come to her. I felt the usual heaviness in my chest, weighing me down, bodies in a wide body of water clawing at me. 

I brought my head back to where it's supposed to be, focused on the mission, nothing else. "Get a hold of yourself, Helvar. We're here to break you out. Now, I could do what I did to your arm on your leg or you could walk out of here on two legs, like a man." He turned to me and gave me a look of annoyance. "No one gets out of Hellgate."

"Tonight they do."

"You can't just walk me out of here, the guards will recognise me."

"You'll be masked." 

"If the guards check -"

"They'll be too busy too check." And just like that the third bell went off and the warning sirens with it. "You opened the cages." Nina said, her voice exasperated and rough, I don't want to here (Y/n) speak yet. Not while her voice is rough, injured, a reminder of my failure to not react fast enough when Helvar rushed her. I wanted to here the angelic sound that came out whenever she spoke, laughed, screamed at me for being an an asshole. "Jesper was supposed to wait until three bells." He did but when was Jesper ever punctual, this was meant to be fool proof of his bad habits, why now did he finally decide to be effective?

"I - It is thr - ee b - ells." (Y/n) stated, her voice was raspy, broken, I wanted to fix it, return her to her normal self, her perfect self.

Everyome got up apart from Muzzen and we made our way to freedom.

A/n - sorry this too so long, I've been preparing for college and have also been on holiday with my family.