7. Goodbye Ravka

"Lets drop down, wait until we reach Novokribirsk." Kaz orders all of us, we do just that and enter a dark space filled with wooden crates. After a few moments we start to hear the growling of volcra, "This is a bad idea." Jesper states the obvious, "any idea which involves crossing the fold is a 'bad idea', this just happens to be our only choice to get back home." I criticize him, "I think it's rather practical." Has Kaz lost his brain? How in the hell is crossing the fold rather practical? 

"What? Why?" Jesper sounds terrified. "I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns. So, cleaning them is a good idea." 

"I don't mean this. I mean this." he gestures to our surroundings, the volcra growl again. "We are in the worst place in the world on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in the gullets. I should've brought Milo." Jesper explains, "Who's Milo?" 

"THE GOAT!" Jesper answers, very annoyed, "How many bullets do you have?" Kaz asks changing the subject from our total damnation, nice one. "Not enough." 

"So, what's our play?" Jesper asks, "We wait." oh, thank the saints.

"For what?" 

"For whatever the General has planned" Oh for saints sake, "You figured him out?" 

"Not quite. Consider the scenario, The Sun Summoner fled from his palace, now she's tied to the deck. We're sailing for a city where another Ravkan general hired Arken to kill her. And, I saw his face as he boarded, I know that look. He's a man consumed with vengeance." Kaz explains, "See it enough in the mirror, do you?" Jesper says, before I had a chance to say it, "Jesper, do me a favour will you and stop reading my mind." he just smirks, Kaz gives me a glare and I go back to my silence.

"So, what kind of revenge is he planning, exactly?" 

"We know it requires the Sun Summoner, which makes her valuable to us." he isn't thinking of grabbing her again is he? If we're doing anything with the Sun Summoner it's freeing her and getting her back to her friend. "She's the one keeping everyone safe in here. If we have control of her, then we call the shots." I hear a footstep that doesn't belong to any of us, I look around and see Alina's friend being led at gunpoint by Inej, "We need to threaten her life." 

"What?" Inej, the boy and I say in unison, "Who's this?" Jesper asks pulling his gun. "It's the Sun Summoners friend, I saw them reunite when I let her go." I explain, Inej lowers the gun. "Why are you here?" Inej asks, "Like the girl said, I'm her friend, Mal Oretsev, I'm here to kill the General and save Alina."

"Inej, give him his gun." Kaz commands, "Why?"

 "I trust (Y/n)'s word, which aligns with his own, so that means he isn't with Kirigan, which means he's with us." she hands him his gun and he takes it. 

A few minutes later the skiff stops. Jesper loads his guns, I call the flame. Mal gives me a wierd look, "I'm not a normal Inferni." I say, "I know what you are." Phoenix child.

"No, you don't" I say.  he expanded the fold, all of those people waiting on  the other side are dead, what if the couple who ran the butchers are there? They don't deserve this. "We need to go up there and stop them." I plead to Kaz, "No, we wait." 

"Kaz, you can hear him slaughtering a city." Inej appeals to him, "So you understand the scale of his power, then? Good." 

"The bold move is to strike now." Mal states, "And the smart one is to get clear of the damned fold first." Mal walks off to the main deck, "I never said I was smart."

"Can you believe him?" Jesper comments, I watch as Inej get's battle ready. I look at the ball of fire in my hand, I meet Kaz's gaze, "I'm going." he goes to grab my wrist but stops when he's a finger tip away, "Don't be an idiot." he orders, "I can kill Vulcra in seconds. And apparently melt the flesh of bones in seconds too. I'm going and you can't stop me." I take off my veil and robe and go to the deck, I hear Inej trailing behind me.