22. I burn for you

I had to have been in here for hours now. Had Kaz and the others left with Yul-Bayur yet? Had they left me here? Were they dead? No, they could not have died yet. They were out there somewhere.

No guard had come for me yet and I felt as if I would be left here to freeze to death. My skin had taken on a greenish hue and was slowly becoming blue, I would die soon. I kept trying to warm myself but all that happened was I grew colder, I tried to stand but could not get up. 

Eventually, he came. 

"You must be the  child of the Phoenix?" a man dressed in a cloak tied with a wolf pin asked me, "Maybe. Shall we cut to the chase and have you kill me already?" He let out a menacing laugh that made me even colder, I curled up tighter in the ball I had put myself in. "Kill you? No, no, no, we want to use you to take down the rest of your kind." 

"I'd kill myself before I do anything for you." He gestured for the two other druskelle, they entered the room and grabbed for me. I knew exactly what happened next. I'd be forced into something I never wanted with no escape whether it was a quick fuck, slow fuck, or whatever the fuck he wanted me to do for him it was never going to happen. The moment they grabbed me wings of fire sprouted from my back and they started screaming. They tried to run but were ashes before they could do anything. "Get out of my way or you die too." He pulled out a vial of something and rushed for me. I side stepped but he grabbed my wrist. My wing moved with me and his cloak caught on fire. This distracted him enough and I ran as fast as I could.

I heard bells go off and they sent knives through my head as they rang loudly. I saw as a druskelle came after me, "I remember you." I did too, he was extra forceful when I attended my first Hringkralla. I remembered all of them, and all of them would burn.

"Maybe now, but there won't be an after for you." I extended the wings I had been granted by my God to save myself and watched as he was engulfed in flames, the screams were music to my ears. I ran past him immediately, I was in the prison block so I may be able to find them or Yul-Bayur, or both, either way I get what I want. 

I checked every cell looked for any sign of anything and all I saw was cold, pale, almost dead people. Was this where they held infernis? In this freezing cold abyss? I wanted to save them, I wanted to get them home to their families or to safety, but I couldn't. I couldn't be this hero, this saviour who would save my people. I thought I could maybe go while the war was raging, I thought of Alina struggling to fight against the General and then I'd swoop in with my wings and we would fight him together and go down in history as saviours. I thought that if I came back and fought for Ravka, then maybe I would no longer be the monster I was painted as.

I suppose that is what I have to be. Especially now when my God has given me the strength to survive. Maybe I would burn it all down, the world could maybe be reborn afterwards. 

~

I continued running, I found a stair well and found that I was on the lowest sector. I suppose it would be colder here. I ran up the stair well, my wings trailing behind me and I felt as if my heart had grown a tether, like it was leading me to something. 

I made it to the fifth floor and whatever coldness I had erased entirely when I saw Kaz. We were five steps apart. He looked exhausted, more than he already seemed. "Kaz." I took another step and I wanted to burst with tears as he also stepped closer. "Your alive?"

"You doubted I wasn't?" 

He smirked, "Not for a second."

 I smiled at him and I wiped my eyes, "Where are the others?" 

"Hopefully, the roof of the embassy." and with that Kaz shoved me out of the way and I noticed a Fjerdan behind me. He'd shot a bullet and I noticed how it just skimmed Kaz. Kaz lunged for the man and tore the gun from his hand. I would have sent a burst of flame but I watched as Kaz punched the man in his pressure points. The man fell down in seconds. I looked at him shocked, how was he managing this without his cane? It must be pure adrenaline. "Thank me later." He said with a smirk. I shook my head as I smiled and blushed because of him. "Come on, we're already late." Kaz? Late? What the hell?