Chapter 005 Mommy, I Know The Truth

(A/N: hi! This chapter is gonna be sad I can already promise the drama! I hope you're enjoying this story so far because I am loving writing it!)

It had been a particularly good day in Cousins, for me anyway.

I woke up to Steven next to me.

I had always admired the way he looked like a little kid when he slept, his face looked ten years younger; reminding me of the summers we spent as kids.

Steven was a late sleeper and I was an early bird. I went downstate to find Jeremiah sitting at the kitchen island.

"Hey cal, wanna go on a muffin run before everyone gets up?" He asked me.

When we got in the car he immediately started yelling.

"How could you date Steven? He's my best friend! Why would you be so selfish?" He shouted.

Here I was thinking he wanted to spend time with his only sister, but he only wanted to yell without waking the house up.

"This has nothing to do with you." I say calmly. "And it is very hypocritical to say these things to me. Remember when you told me you loved Belly and wished she would look at you the way she looks at Connie? Did I scream at you?"

The car goes silent. We haven't left the drive way yet. I didn't want to deal with this right now so I got out.

"Wait! I'm sorry. I just, don't want anyone to get hurt." Jeremiah apologizes.

"Me either" I walk inside he follows.

Toady was the Cousins Portrait Contest.

Susannah has painted most of it but I added the fishing touches that morning.

I left for the country club to set up early.

How the contest works is people from all over cousins comes on this one day only to vote on 50 paintings 1-10. The 3 contestants with the most points make it to the finals were the club chairman, the president of the cousins painting society, and a randomly selected club member vote on a winner and runner up.

In that moment I wanted nothing more than Susannah's painting to get its very own spot in the cousins museum.

It wasn't about all of us kids being in the portrait, but that I knew it would be the last thing she might get to ever paint.

I had made everyone promise to come by the club and vote.

Steven and Jeremiah came on their break. I had been sitting on the stool they assigned me and the painting to.

It started at 9, and all votes had to be in my 3. It was now 2:30 and Steven took off so he could wait with me.

"Attention all painters of cousins! It is time to announce the finalists for this year's competition! If you are selected make your way with your painting to the conference room. If you are not, make your way out of the ball room and into the parking lot! Thank you." A bald guy, who I assumed was one of the final judges announced.

Hand in hand, Steven helped me breathe as they called names.

"And the finalist are.." drum role. "Callie Fisher, Aaron Jackson, and Marta Gutierrez"

I felt a tension release in my shoulder.

"Omg Steven did you hear that?" I didn't wait for a response. I kissed him and ran to the conference room.

If I won this, Susannah's memory would be through her work, which I knew she was excited for.

The judges surprisingly were fast.

It had only been about five minutes and I was so anxious.

Aaron had his eyes glued to me the entire time.

"Will Marta Gutierrez step forward?" The bald guy said standing next to the other judges.

"You're work was good, but it's not what we are looking for here."

When he called my name after my heart sank, Aaron had to try to keep his smug smile inside.

"Callie Fisher. I understand your piece was painted by your mother?" He asked me.

"Yes sir, we did it together. She wasn't able to make it today."

"Who are the people in your portrait? Specify who is who and why you painted it."

An interview question? What was this bullshit? We're they trying to embarrass me before cutting me? Just get it over with.

"Their my family sir. The two boys on the end are my brothers, and the other two people are my boyfriend and best friend. We all spend our summers here together every year. And why I painted it? My mother Susannah and I painted this because this might be the last summer we are all together and we wanted to leave a part of us in the place we love most." I say tearing up.

"Well that is a beautiful story, and I'm glad you shared it with us because you won!" He replied to my speech.

I broke down. No one knew the real reason but it didn't matter.

Steven and I went to dinner to celebrate. I'd tell everyone and mom later.

When we got back home if was dark out. Steven had went to bed but I couldn't sleep before telling Susannah.

I walked out to the pier because that's were my mom spent most of her time.

"Mind if I join you mommy?" I ask before sitting down. "Remember that portrait contest I entered us in? Well we won. It should be in the museum next week."

"Oh that's great honey" she said. She looked numb.

"Mommy?"

"Yes my love?"

"I know."

She handed me her blunt and we sat in silence.

I stand up to to when she grabbed my arm.

"Who all knows?" She asks me.

"Just me and Connie, don't worry, Jere won't know unless you tell him. Goodnight mommy. Get some rest" I say, walking off.

(A/N: so this episode was supposed to replace the volleyball tournament and the deb ball. In this story the debutante ball doesn't exist and the volley ball tournament didn't have much room for Callie and her story. But anyways as always I hope you are enjoying the story. I should get to writing stuff from the second season soon so stay tuned. XO KK!)

Published:7/16/2022
Words:1051