Chapter 009 Goodbye With A Rose

(A/N: hey y'all so this episode was so hard for me to write but I think it came out just as I wanted it. It took a couple days to get the words out so I hope you like it. Also this chapter does switch pov to Laurels but just for a second. I forget to say this in every author note but please give me feed back if you have any, I want everyone to like this story :)!)

                                  August 6th

"I'm glad we got to spend the last day of summer together." Steven said grabbing my hand.

We had bikes to Cedar Park and has been on the swings for what felt like hours.

"Before we leave for the year I just wanted to say that Thai school year isn't going to be the same. For my entire life I have loved you in secret but now it's going to be harder to love you from Rhode Island." I say hoping off the swing.

—————————————————————————

                                   May 20th

I had been napping and dreaming of our last day in Cousins, we didn't know it back then it would be our last time at that house.

I wasn't in cousins. And I wasn't with Steven.

I was in Boston preparing for Susannah's funeral.

I remember the day she died like it was yesterday.

Nona, the home health nurse had woken me up to tell me it would be that night.

I had told her to let me know first so I could tell Connie and Jeremiah.

I walked to Jeremiah's room and gently knocked before going in.

"Is she gone?" He asks sitting up in confusion.

I wanted to tell him first because I knew he felt left out of the loop constantly.

"Not yet but Nona says it will be tonight," I start, "go wake Connie and I'll get Adam.

"Daddy, it's time for us to say goodbye." I say tapping him.

I hadn't called him daddy since I was eleven but I knew his heart always got softer inside when I did. Susannah needed that.

When he got to the office she looked paper thin.

One by one we said our goodbye starting with Jeremiah, Conrad, Adam then me.

I sat in the chair next to her bed and grabbed her hand.

"Mommy?" I say quietly trying to hold in my tears. I had to be strong for Jere.

"My favorite." She said trying to get her hand to my cheek. I helped guide it there.

I had always been  Susannah's favorite, everyone knew it and I want ashamed to admit it. I liked being her favorite.

"Mommy I love you."

And just like that I felt her soul drift away. A single tear fell down my face as I put her arms to her side.

I pull Adam to the hall.

"I'll call Laurel and we can let everybody else who isn't as important know tomorrow." I say going back to hold Jeremiah.

.................................................................................
                                 Laurels Pov