three

"Madeline, great race today." Christian walks in to my drivers room, leaning on the doorway since the door was already opened.

The very first race of the season had just finished in Bahrain, and I had finished 4th - not too bad for my debut Redbull race, however I still wasn't pleased with it since Max had managed to get third. God he always just has to one up me.

"Thank you Christian." I smile up after fixing my shoes. "I'm happy to be in the midst of the battle, but I'm also looking forward to the meeting to find out how to improve."

Christian shakes his head with a smile before coming forward and patting me on the back. "Don't be too hard on yourself kid. You were right on Max's tail the full time, and he's been driving a Redbull for a few years now."

"Well hopefully I'll be in front very soon." Checking the time on the clock just behind him, I notice that the media interviews are just about to start, so I stand up and walk out with my PR manager Leah following quickly behind.

"As long as it's in front and not crashing in to each other." He shouts back, and whilst it sounded like a joke, it was clear that the team principle was trying to make a point - rivalries can be good as they push you to be your best, but just don't let it push you over the edge and cost the team millions of dollars.

The walk to the media pen was relatively quick but I did stop a few times to take pictures with fans and to sign merchandise, despite Leah having to practically drag me away so I wouldn't be fined for being late.

"Madeline, over hear!" Will Buxton was the first interviewer to shout for my attention as I reach the pen. I quickly rearrange my hair under my hat, conscious to the fact that my helmet hair at the moment was worse than Max's normal hair.

"Just remember what we practiced, sweet but not scared." Leah whispers in to my ear as we get closer, rubbing my shoulder to help calm me down.

She knows how much I hate interviews, the pressure to say the right thing, look the right way, laugh at the right time, it's all just too much. And it doesn't help that most of the time they're actively looking to trip you up. So I begin by building up my façade. I put a smirk on my face, throw my hair over my shoulder and stand up a little taller before walking across to him like I own the place - huh, seems I actually did learn something from my mum.

"Madeline, great race today." Will kindly smiles whilst passing me across a microphone to begin the interview. "P4 in your first race with Redbull, you've got to be happy with that."

"Yes I suppose I could be, but I was also so close to a podium which is naturally disappointing to someone like myself who strives for perfection."

"I'm sure it will come very very soon for you. How did you find the race? Is there a big difference between the Alphatauri and the Redbull cars on track?"

"One certainly has a lot better pace." I try to joke. "Both are good cars but it's clear that one is more competitive and designed to attack rather than defend, which suits my driving style better."

"How have you settled in with the Redbull family? Obviously when you were at Alphatauri you had a very close relationship with your teammate Pierre, would you say that you have that bond with Max as well?"

I take a sigh of relief at his question. Thankfully I had practised a similar question to this about ten times over in media training, knowing that the reporters would probably disregard my driving and seek out any drips of gossip that they could.

"Alphatauri and Redbull are apart of the same family so it's not been too different. Obviously there are lots of new people to meet which has been great for me and so far it's going really well. In terms of teammates, well I don't think I'll ever find one like Pierre but that's because our friendship is even deeper than any other friendship I've ever or will ever have."