seventeen

A Redbull 1, 2 at the Redbull Ring. Now that's an experience I'll never forget.

It hadn't been my easiest race that's for sure. Starting from P5 I had a strong lineup of Lewis, Valterri, Lando and Max all starting in front of me. I wanted to do extremely well considering it was my first race as a Redbull driver at the home track, and with the reception from the home crowd screaming my name from the moment I reached the track, I just knew I couldn't disappoint them.

When the lights went out the bulls came out to play. I managed to hold my position, having to focus on defending rather than attacking since Pierre was right up my rear wing in no time. The safety car did help me, with the restart in lap 4 I managed to shake Pierre off a bit which allowed me to focus more on fighting and using my now warmed up tyres. Going in to the turn it was tight between Hamilton, Bottas, Norris and myself, but I managed to squeeze my way in front of Hamilton, taking some more control. Up in front Bottas was catching up with Lando, his competitive side emerging, however he didn't plan his attack right, throwing himself in to the gravel and effectively ruining his own race. Throughout the rest of the race I managed to hold my position, confidently driving in third until I noticed Hamiltons movements becoming a bit more sloppy, indicating that he was losing his rear tyres. I took the opportunity and managed to score an overtake, grasping on to P2. Once I knew I had made it that far the winners mentality in me only wanted one thing - the top step. Although the team wanted me to defend, I knew that those behind me had gotten caught in a battle amongst themselves, allowing me to disregard defending and focus on attacking. By the next lap I was up Max's gearbox and on the final corner I managed to snag an overtake, much to Max's dismay. The two of us had put on a good show for everyone with it being neither here nor there between us, yet I still managed to finish two hundredths of a second in front of him, capturing my goal and getting a double podium for the team.

The celebrations were crazy. The crowd was roaring, flares were set off and the Redbull crew were jumping so high it was as if the drinks had actually gave them wings. I predicted that Max would be hostile towards me considering neither of us particularly enjoyed losing out to the other, yet he wasn't as bitter as I thought he would be, and instead he just seemed joyful that we managed to earn a double podium for the team.

So to celebrate such a victorious day Christian had encouraged the whole garage to come out to the bar attached to the hotel, preaching from the rooftops about teamwork and inclusivity.

The bar was quite busy but it was mainly flowing with a sea of Redbull employees, all slightly drunk despite the night just starting.

For myself, I was slightly tipsy I couldn't lie. The bottle of champagne from the podium had made its way through my system, and it probably doesn't help the fact that I soon followed it by the bottle of rose wine that was chilled and waiting for me in my room. But still I managed to leave the hotel and make it here in one piece.

"Hey!" I'm greeted by mechanics as soon as they spot me, all taking it in turns to pat me on the back and congratulate me for the epic drive.

"It's not just me." I dust off their compliments. "If it wasn't for you guys making sure the car is perfect, and the strategists for coming up with the plan, or the engineers and designers creating the car, then none of this would be possible."

"Madeline Bernard." Philip, one of my pit crew team drunkenly throws his arm around me. "Shut your mouth and take the compliment."

We all laugh as he just goofily smiles at us all, clinking his drink with mine and encouraging me to down the whole thing. As I tip the glass back I spot Max over the rim, his baby blues eyes staring over whoever he's talking to, keeping his gaze firmly set on me.