twenty one

TEXT

Pain in the Max

Where are you?
You were supposed to be here 15 minutes ago
We need to take off soon.

Mate I'm literally right next to the plane

You are?
Oh

Are you sure you passed the medical eye test?

Full marks actually

Such a suck up

I lightly laugh, shaking my head at Max's moment of stupidness before locking my phone and tucking it in to the pocket of my hoodie.

After the crash at Silverstone I had been on strict doctors orders to rest, which would be an easy enough task if I knew how to sit still, but I don't so it had proven to be a difficult fight.

I was kept in the hospital for monitoring for the following two days, having tests and examinations every so many hours so that we could build up a report to show the FIA that I would be safe to race. Once I was released from the chains of the medical team, I jumped straight back in to action, spending the week at Milton Keynes reviewing the accident to ensure that I can do whatever I can to avoid that situation in the future, and practicing in the sim for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Although I don't particularly like Milton Keynes, it was a worthwhile week and I enjoyed the time to myself. That was until Sunday rolled around and I found out that Max and I had been double booked for the sim.

At first I was clearly annoyed, having travelled from my hotel to the headquarters for no apparent reason, but I knew the situation wasn't Max's fault.

The whole moment felt like a circle of personal development. Had you told me at the beginning of the season that this had occurred and I didn't lose my temper at Max for it, well, I simply wouldn't believe you.

But since bumping in to Max he had been extremely attentive, in fact, over attentive with his constant checking in on my well-being after the crash. No matter how many times I told him I was fine, he would still ask another two times just to make sure that I was confident. Which has lead to this situation - being forced to fly with Max to Hungary so that he could make sure the changes in altitude doesn't affect my fully healed concussed brain.

As much as the whole thing is annoying, because I'd much rather be on a tame flight reading my book in peace, I can't help but admit that this newly found caring side of Max has made my heart swell ever so slightly. I've never had someone look out for me so much - even if it's from the boy that I've loved to hate.

"And what time do you call this?" Danny shouts out from the back of the plane just as I take my first step in. He's sitting on the cream leather seat at the window space, arms crossed and a jokingly disapproving look on his face as he shakes his head.

Next to him Max smirks a little, his eyes moving between Daniel on his left side and myself, with a glow of amusement in his eyes, even clear from where I'm standing.

I roll up the sleeve of my hoodie as I make my way closer to them down the aisle, looking mockingly at my empty wrist. "Two minutes before I tell you to fuck off."

Daniel's jaw drops at my sassiness whilst Max giggles lightly, and I hear another laugh joining in. As I move closer I notice it's Lando from his curls poking up from the back of the chair across from Daniel.