twenty two

"Are you sure this will be fine?" The nervous tone in Max's voice is evident as it echos off of the hotel hallway.

"I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be." I try to act as though I don't care, but deep down I'm shitting myself. On the flight yesterday I had offered for Max to join our game night. I hadn't thought anything of it at the time considering that through the years multiple other drivers had been invited at some point, but since the words had slipped past my lips I can only think of how this probably wasn't my greatest moment. Not only do all of the boys think that Max and I still hate the ground that each other walk on, but with them being the biggest gossip merchants that I know, then they're likely to grill us the rest of the night.

Not as many people were coming tonight which could be a blessing in disguise as it's only us two, Pierre, Charles and Esteban, but at the same point it'll only make Max stand out more, earning more attention.

And that's not even the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that I keep telling myself that I only invited him because Christian and Helmut want us to get on better, but in actuality I'm growing rather fond of his company. All of the backwards and forwards bickering has gradually morphed from being hate filled to joking, actually making me laugh most of the time, and I enjoy it, I enjoy him.

"You're not exactly filling me with confidence." He stops just outside of Pierre's room, turning to face me fully. Hiding behind his mask I can see that he's nervous - a look I don't often see on him. So you can bet that I'm about to take full advantage of it.

"You have nothing to worry about." I smile kindly and place my left hand on his bicep which he instantly tenses under my cool touch, making the muscle more prominent. "These nights normally start with some card games. We deal in money, bets and dares, so as long as you brought your wallet and are brave enough to hang out of a window in your underwear then you're fine." The whites of his eyes enlarge in panic and it almost makes me want to giggle. His jaw drops as he readies to come back to my story but I don't give him a chance. "They do tend to get a bit aggressive at least once a night, so you need to be ready to either run or put up a good fight, which by you flexing your big muscles, I'm guessing you'll go for the latter." I send him a wink to let him know that I've been messing with him.

Watching the realisation settle on his face is an image I wish I had recorded. His dropped jaw zips upwards to close, so fast that you can hear his squared teeth clink as they collide, and a light blush washes over his cheeks. His look of embarrassment begins to twist, forming a cocky smirk, leaving me confused.

"So you think my muscles are big?" A light of happiness sparkles in his crystal irises.

My hand drops from his arm as I start to get annoyed. "That's all you took from that?" He goofily smiles whilst nodding his head. "I've been trying to wind you up and that's the only part you picked up on."

"Next time don't compliment me then." He shrugs his shoulders as though he's not to blame.

Before I could even start on him, the door behind him opens to reveal my brother from another mother.

"Madeline?" His voice gradually turns from excited to confused as he says my name, his arms still open towards me, but his eyes now focussed upon Max.

"Pierre!" I squeal, jumping in to his arms and making him stumble, hoping that it takes his attention away from an awkward Max.

His arms wrap around me, holding us both from stumbling over, before he quickly puts me back down and retracts me to arms length and letting go. I watch as his eyes flicker between Max and I with confusion written clearly across them.

Not giving either of the two a chance, I lean back and clasp my hand around Max's wrist before yanking him past Pierre and in to the room before he has the chance to chicken out.