twenty six

Summer break is almost done now. Ibiza had came and went, leaving a lot of good memories and a very confusing situation to sort out.

After Max and I had discussed where we stood, he unfortunately had to leave to fly back to the Netherlands to film for a sponsorship, leaving me with my thoughts at the side of a pool.

The girls hadn't brought up the situation much, knowing that I'm not a person who particularly enjoys in divulging my own drama, but they did check in to make sure I was alright. I managed to keep it to myself however, waiving them off and claiming that Max only brought my home, knowing that Christian was already ready to kill me for making an arse of myself in front of so many cameras.

Since his sneaky exit that morning Max and I had both been texting each other back and forth, nothing big really, just updates about our days and a few sarcastic comments along the way. But now that we're getting closer to returning to the track, I can't help but let my nerves overwhelm me. Would we be able to keep it a secret? Would it effect our driving? Will it be awkward? All of the possibilities run through my unstimulated mind at a speed faster than an F1 car.

Knowing how easily these thoughts are about to consume me, I decide that it's finally time for me to tell Ellie now that we're home and the other girls aren't around. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that I trust Ellie with my life and that means she needs to deal with all of the decisions that I make.

But it seems that we're that close that she practically can read my mind.

"So what's up with you and Max?" She looks up from her phone and towards my direction at the opposite side of the couch, an eyebrow raised and a knowing look plastered across her face.

Her instant questioning makes me feel quite embarrassed for some reason. I've never been like this with her before, all of our talks have been full on with no space for secrets or shames, yet here I am growing red at the name of a boy.

"I, erm, actually wanted to talk to you about that." I avoid eye contact and instead lock my phone, placing it face down on the table in front so that I don't get distracted.

"So you're finally going to tell me why you said he just dropped you off but I caught him sneaking out the next morning?"

My head snaps up to meet her smirking face, trapping me like a deer in the headlights. My heart pauses for a moment before it begins to race, causing me to feel lightheaded and nauseous.

"I- er - you saw - em." I struggle to get any words to form, feeling shocked and embarrassed so badly that I can't even come up with an excuse.

She rolls her eyes at my state letting out a small scoff. "Did you seriously think I wouldn't know? The tension from the past few races, and him purposefully wanting to see you on your birthday when you both would be drunk." She begins to explain, standing up from the couch with purpose before walking to the open planned kitchen. "We all knew something was going to happen - Daniel and I even had a bet on it, he thought it would happen at the DJ booth, but I knew you wouldn't do something as public as that." Her hand reaches up to grab a bottle of water from the fridge, emptying it in to a glass, whilst all I can do is sit still and comprehend that this conversation isn't going the way that I had planned for it to. "But then I saw you dash off and that threw a spanner in to the works, until about 15 minutes later when you both walked back out hand in hand, and straight out of the door." She turns and walks back over to me. "I made sure the girls stayed at the club for another couple of hours so no one else would catch on, but he wasn't exactly a secret agent walking out the next day." She comes to stand in front of me, her smirk having turned in to a full blown smile that only made me want to crawl deeper and deeper in to a hole. "So tell me, will you be going back for seconds?" She wiggles her eyebrows like a teenager, which does make me relax a bit more, enough to let out a small laugh.