twenty three

Waking up to the morning sun in Ibiza was undoubtedly the best way to start my 22nd birthday.

Seeing as how the summer break just fit in perfectly alongside my birthday, I knew I had to take full advantage of it. So as soon as the calendar was released, Ellie and I had planned the perfect girls trip, forcing our other friends Valeria and Florence to join us on the trip. The week was nothing short of jam packed, we had music festivals, pool parties, yacht rides and so much more planned, but whilst that all sounds fun and enjoyable, at times I also just want a moment to relax, especially after how I felt because of the last race.

Hungary, lap 1, turn 1, and all I was left with was a sour dnf. The lights went out and I felt confident, starting from P4 meant that there was a solid chance of a podium, which was only heightened when Valterri fell back behind the pack, pushing me in to P3. But then he decided that racing wasn't what he wanted to do with his life, so he instead became a professional bowler, hitting a strike on his first attempt, and taking out half of the grid with him.

I was raging, no, raging was an understatement. The only thing coursing through my veins was red hot fire. I'm not proud to repeat what I said over the radio, however I did send Hugh a fruit basket the next day to apologise for what would be his bleeding ears, and I sent a bouquet of flowers to his wife who would no doubt have to put up with him moaning about me when he flew home.

But my kind gestures were not the most surprising thing the team noticed that weekend. That award would have to go to the one and only Max Verstappen.

After Bottas took his stupidity out on a shopping spree that cost the teams millions of dollars, Max somehow predicted how angry I would be. And when the red flag was waved at the end of the lap and we all trundled back in to the pits, he was one of the first drivers out of their car, and instead of going to the pit wall where everyone expected him to go, he had jogged over to garage 32 - mine.

In the cockpit I had been removing the steering wheel when his face popped up. At first I thought that I was so anger fuelled that I was delusional, but when his gloved hand rested on my shoulder, giving it a reassuring shake, I knew he was actually there.

We didn't say anything, but we still communicated, although it's weird to explain. His hand on my shoulder calmed me enough to lock away the animal that I was about to unleash, and his lifted visor allowed for his eyes to search mine, the ocean blue waves crashing over me and cooling me down - it's okay, it was like they said. It was one race, and just because I wasn't in the running for it didn't mean I was out of the championship.

After the race restarted, I started to get confused and wondering glances sent to me from almost everyone in the garage, but I didn't entertain them. Instead I sat with my head held high and watched the monitor, hoping for Max to move back up to the points which he thankfully did.

And that wasn't even the best part. Esteban won the race! Watching my childhood best friend stand upon the top step and finally receive the recognition that he deserved was all I needed to turn that weekend around. He did it - like we knew he would all along.

Removing the warm blankets, I begrudgingly force myself out of bed. Despite not having a hangover I feel so disoriented that when I stand up I have to take an extra moment just for the world to stop spinning.

Finding the ground too cold, I immediately find my slippers waiting for me at the side of the bed alongside my jumper. Putting them both on I shuffle to my door, rubbing my eyes to get rid of the sleep before opening the door, only to be shocked by what lies on the other side.

"Surprise!" All of the girls shout, waving their arms in the air with proud smiles on their faces.

They had decorated the open area with banners and streamers, and little balloons scattered all across the floor. The table was heavy with a range of breakfast foods, and a 22 balloon smack bang in the middle.