Backseat Cuddling

"sooo, Billy got you that book?" Lukas asked as they walked around the library. Max insisted on having a little walk around before the arcade. Of course Lukas didn't mind.

"Yeah." Max looked down at it, she felt weird everytime she looked at it.

"That's...nice? But weird, isn't it?" Lukas knew Max and Billy hated each other. At least on the surface.

"Yeah, I guess he probably wants a favor from me or something." Max cleared her throat. "I've never heard of it, but it might be good."

"Can I see?"

Max handed the book to Lukas. He read the title. Then he had a look at the summary.

"Our New Normal" By Colleen Faulkner.

"...Hazel insists she will have the baby and raise him with her boyfriend, Tyler. Who's no one's idea of a model father. Clearly, there are going to be some conflicts to iron out..."

Max wondered if Billy was trying to send a passive massage. Giving her a book about a pregnant teen. She received the message loud and clear.

"Do you want to go to the arcade yet?"

Max shook her head and sighed. "Can we just hang out in your car?"

"That's...I mean, we could." Lukas looked at Max suspiciously, but didn't want to accuse her of anything. "Just to talk though, right?"

"You think I want to grind on you or something?" Max hissed. "Seriously, I do think about other things that aren't sexual."

"I know, I was just joking!" Lukas nudged her nervously. He still hasn't told her something very important about two weeks ago. "You want to cuddle, don't you?"

"No." Max's no was weak and she blushed when Lukas snapped his gaze to her and raised a brow. "Don't tell anyone..."

"Come on." Lukas slipped his hand over Max's for the first time since the summer and led her back to his car. He was overjoyed that she wasn't pulling away or insulting him.

-

The back seats of Lukas' car were pushed all the way back. Max and Lukas were tangled up in each other. Max had her arms around Lukas, his arms were around her. She was holding up the book Billy gave her, but couldn't focus much on it.

I shouldn't be doing this, I'll hurt him. I'll break his heart.

Max sighed and rubbed her face into his shoulder. Lukas was being quiet so she could read, but his heartbeat was more than enough to distract her.

I want to kiss him.

Lukas put a gentle hand on her back and rubbed soft circles around.

Oh god, I want to kiss him.

He moved his hand lower and rested it.

Fuck, he's so decent. Why can't he kiss me first?

Max slowly put her book down, not caring if she lost her place. Then she accidentally rested her face in the crook of his neck. It was an purpose, really. So was the hot breathing.

Can I kiss his neck? Do boys like that?

Max noticed Lukas shifting. Either he was uncomfortable or he was trying to get into a better position to seduce her. Max shivered when he leaned into her ear. Instead of whispering seductive filth he whispered, "Nice try."

"I'm not trying anything." Max whined and looked up.

"I can feel you breathing on my neck, feels like I'm cuddling with a vampire." Lukas chuckled and moved his hand to the back of her head. He ruffled her hair lovingly. "You're very beautiful, you know that?"