Chat & Chat

After school Max and Lukas sat out in the backyard, not taking any chances that Erica might hear them discussing the pregnancy.

"The first step is deciding what you want to do." Lukas bounced one of his legs nervously. "I know you know the options, so just tell me what you want to do."

Max glared at him.

Yeah, let me just make a big life decision right now.

"I don't know yet." Max hadn't thought about what she would actually do. She knew the options. Abortion, adoption, or proper motherhood. She hated that motherhood sounded the most sensible. Motherhood meant throwing away the remains of her childhood. "It's a lot to think about."

Lukas nodded and moved over on the yellow wooden chair he was sitting on. "There's enough room for you too."

Max got off her identical chair and squeezed in next to him. She knew he was going to put an arm around her, but she still reacted with a smile when he did. "What would you do? If it was your choice?"

"It's not–"

"But if it was. I want to take your feelings into consideration..." Max rubbed his back with the only arm that functioned. "Would you want to be a dad, if I decided to be a mom?"

"God..." Lukas sucked in a breath and breathed it out heavily. "It is a lot to think about...but, I'm willing to face that scary thought with you. We could be parents, it'll be scary. But I think we could do it...I mean, plenty of people have kids young and live to never regret it."

Max nodded slowly. She thought of her mother. She had Max in her early twenties. She wasn't as young, but most likely regretted it. Now in her forties she must of been really regretting it. Max wondered,

Will mom keep my sibling? She had me practically against her will...but she's a little old to have another...just because the parts still work, doesn't mean they should still produce. She doesn't have enough love for a baby...do I even have enough love for a baby? Loving Lukas is difficult enough.

"Just, do what YOU want." Lukas nuzzled her cheek. "I will cope with whatever you choose."

"Well right now I'm nervous, and I just want some time."

Lukas kissed her lips briefly, innocently. "Of course, take some more time. And let me know when you feel ready to tell someone else."

"I will..." Max cleared her throat. It was time for a subject change. Although it wouldn't be much more pleasant. "Can I be 1,000% honest with you?"

"I don't know, that's a lot of honesty." Lukas snickered and grinned. "Anything, can't be worse than you trying to sneak a pregnancy past me." Lukas was still a little hurt by that, but was proud of Max for coming clean on her own.

Max needed to come clean again. "Abi asked me to go to the dance with her."

Lukas managed to keep an unbothered expression. He already guessed she did, but the confirmation was still a surprise. "What did you say?"

"That's the honest part...I kind of told her I'd get back to her. It's just, I'm nervous to go with you. Everyone will make a fuss that we're dating again. Plus, James and Troy will be pissed. I was thinking about going with Abi because it would be easy, but...I shouldn't, I have too many feelings attached to her."

Lukas knew Max must've had a connection with someone else besides him. She messed around with enough people to form feelings. That didn't stop the seed of jealousy being planted in him though. "I understand, Max...but hey, Abi ended up asking Jane."

"She did?" Max's eyes widened. It hurt. Why did it hurt? Abi was a kissing friend, not a lover. "Oh, well...that settles that."

"If you're willing to push through what everyone has to say, I'd love to take you." Lukas imagined slow dancing with Max, kissing her in a crowd of people and not carin. Just being with her.

"I'd like to go...as long as you understand James and Troy might pull some weird shit."

Lukas rolled his eyes. "I can handle those guys."

"Can you handle me?" Max asked, practically holding the pieces of her heart out to him.

"I don't know, you're quite the lady." Lukas leaned in and kissed her, deeper than before. He squeezed the shards of her broken heart together, but they didn't stick. They fell apart again as soon as he pulled away.

-

Later that night when Charles was home and not busy, that's when he took Max to the kitchen to talk alone.

"I don't want to freak you out, but I will need to take you to the station tomorrow to collect some more information..." Charles said with an apologetic tone. He wished he could just believe her, lock Neil up forget. Unfortunately it took more than believing. They needed proof.

"Okay, I can handle it." Max nodded. A few questions was nothing. She's been through worse. "If Neil confesses, will there still be a trial?" She asked curiously.

"Yes, there will still need to be a court proceeding. But it would end a lot better if he'd confess." Charles shook his head. He has encountered a lot of criminals. But the ones that abused children were beyond his comprehension. "I really am sorry, but you've got our support."

"I understand..." Max held her breath before asking the next question. "Can I go home?"

"Go home?" Charles recalled her only being here for a weekend. "It's probably for the best that you stay longer."

Max didn't want to argue with a police officer, but she really did want to go home. She was so overwhelmed with being Lukas' girlfriend again, being pregnant, potentially being a sister, and especially the case against Neil. She wanted to be in her room, somewhere familiar. Not all the memories were happy, but it was home. "I just...feel homesick and I really want to go home with my mom."

Charles put his hands on his hips and looked around like the correct response was written in the air. "Okay, I'll check things out. Make sure it's safe for you to be home."

"Thank you." Max knew things would be rocky at home, but she knew she could deal with it. Now, she just had to get Lukas to be okay with it. "I need to talk to Lukas."

"Go ahead, darling. Just remember going to the station with me tomorrow."

"Sure." Max went upstairs to Lukas' room. The door was left cracked open for her. "Hey, handsome..."

Lukas looked up from his computer. "Hallo, beautiful." He smiled. "You must be in a good mood."

"I'm in a mood that I can't even describe...I just have something to tell you that you might not like."

"It can't get any worse than pregnant." Lukas said in a whisper. "What is it?

"I'm going home...least for a little while." Max noticed his face twisting into concern immediately. "Hey, don't you start worrying." She walked over to his desk and put a hand on one of his shoulders. "I'm going to be okay..."

Will it be okay?

Lukas pulled her hand off his shoulder and held it. "Are you not comfortable here?"

"No, it's great here." Max meant it fully. "It's just, I'm overwhelmed...I want to spend some time in my room, in my house that I know. It might help me focus on this..." She put a hand over her stomach. "And make a decision."

Lukas leaned back in his desk chair. "If that's what you need...just make sure you tell me if anything happens, okay?"

"I will." Max leaned down and kissed him on the lips. Just long enough to set his heart on fire. "I'll be okay. If you start worrying about me, I'll kill you. Got it?"

"That's not very reassuring! I always worry about you!" Lukas whined.

Max pointed a finger at him. "Better not. I will fucking kill you. Don't you worry for a second. You worry too much about me."

"Okay, okay. I'll do my best."

Max leaned in and kissed him again to fan the flames. "Just focus on the dance, something fun. I want to go with you. I was being silly worrying about James and Troy. Who cares what they think or say?"

Oh god, I care. They don't have morals. They are going to destroy him or me. Why am I doing this? I'm better off not going at all...if I'm lucky though, they'll take it out on me, and not him.