Lifetime Of Hargrove

Been a bit since I updated this, so you're getting a short chapter. Hopfully I can jump start some ideas and finish it soon. <3 thanks for your patience!

Lukas pretty much never saw Max anymore. Not at school, not in public. He did worry about her from time to time, but he couldn't see her how he used to. Where he saw his soulmate, he now saw a girl that couldn't love. She would one day, but not now. She needed to do a lot more growing and healing before she could actually love.

"Hey." Abi was behind Lukas when he turned around from his locker.

"Oh, hi..." Lukas associated Abi with Max, which made things awkward.

"I know you might be the last person I should ask but, have you spoken to Max?"

"No." Lukas said defensively. Like the question was a threat.

"She got into it with me last night and got out on the side of the road. I'm worried about her, she was drunk. She's not answering my calls." Abi furrowed her brows. She hated putting Lukas in this situation, but she had to ask.

"Damn...Sorry, I haven't heard from her." Lukas shrugged. "Have you asked anyone else?"

"Yeah, some of the guys that she...uh."

"It's okay."

"I'm sorry." Abi sighed deeply and moved some hair that was stuck to her pink lipgloss. "She's a mess."

"You don't need to tell me twice." Lukas rolled his eyes. "I loved her."

"I know." Abi said awkwardly and looked around. "I better get going...good luck at the basketball game this evening though."

"Thanks, are you coming?"

"Yeah, me and a friend might watch for a bit."

"Cool..."

-

Max laid in bed ignoring call after call. Her head throbbed and her face hurt. She got into it with Billy when she decided to go home last night. In Billy's defense, she hit him first. And she wanted him to hit her. She needed to feel something.

Billy knocked on the door just once before swinging it open. "Max, the baby needs to be changed."

"Then do it, I'm dying."

"You change, I feed." Billy leaned on the doorframe. "If you don't like it, well you should of considered consequences. You could of been a Sinclair, but you landed yourself a lifetime of Hargrove." Billy laughed and left.

Max groaned and pulled herself out of bed. She collected her sister from the bassinet in the living room. She set up a station on the couch and changed the baby's diaper. All while Billy lifted weights in front of the TV. "You told me to..."

"The hell are you going on about?"

"You told me to just wait and see what happens..." Max mumbled.

Billy dropped the weight, denting the floor with a bang. "If I told you to kill Lukas, you wouldn't of done it. Because you love him, and you'd never hurt him. If you didn't want to kill the baby, you wouldn't of done it. You've got to live with it now." Billy stared at her, bored.

Max changed Annie's diaper and took a deep breath. She needed to tap out she needed to call Lukas. She needed him to hold her and fix everything, to justify everything. But when she went to her room and called, after 6 months of practically no contact, he didn't pick up. Max called again, and again. And when she tried for the sixth time, she couldn't. Her number had been blocked. She received a text from Abi instead, implying Abi and Lukas were together.

Abi 🌺

Abi: You're safe then? What the hell happened? You stormed out of my car and just fucked off. Do you get off on making people worry about you? Jesus Christ.

Max: I'm sorry. I was drunk and in a weird place. I'm fine. Are you with Lukas?

Abi:  yes, there's a basketball game about to start. He was telling me how nervous he was because this was his first game in a long time. Also told me how you rarely attended games. And how you fucked him up so much he stopped playing. I never would've spent time with him otherwise, because I'm not like that. But this guy is solid. Good grades, don't smoke nothing, don't drink nothing. His mom is watching and he waves to her. What were you doing dragging him into your mess? I'm not much better than you, but I'd never date a guy like this. This guy is for girls with futures. Not girls like you. Not girls like me. Honestly, you should of never touched him.

Max blocked Abi pretty fast after that huge spiral. She stared at her ceiling and let the tears come, but she didn't really have anyone to blame but herself. She was alone now, and that's what she had coming all along.