A Little Reckless

Max had endured a lot of uncomfortable car rides. Mostly with Billy. But driving with her contracting mother, her boyfriend and his mother took the cake. Max was in the back with Susan, holding her hand. That's just what you should do for a birthing person.

"Everything will be alright, baby." Sue called Susan baby like she didn't borderline hate her. Sue believed everyone deserved love in time of a crisis. "You did this once, you certainly can do it again."

"I was much younger. I had a partner last time too." Susan groaned through clenched teeth. "He was useless, but at least it gave me something to hit."

"Oh, honey. I can go in with you. I had a baby of my own, I don't mind." Sue and Susan didn't know each other like that, but there was no harm in offering.

Susan knew there was no harm in accepting the offer. She technically knew Sue better than she knew the doctor that would be elbows deep inside her to rotate the baby. "I guess that'll do..." Susan looked over at Max. "Not so pretty, huh? This is the consequence of sex."

Max was already thinking about herself. How she'd be groaning at contractions soon if everything went well. Just thinking about the concept of giving birth made Max cross her legs.

"Don't scare her." Sue spoke up for Max. She looked over to see Lukas wearing worry on his face as well. He was terrified on Max's behalf. Sue kept one hand on the wheel, but reached over with one hand to rub his shoulder. "You two will be just fine."

-

Lukas and Max were left to a waiting room. Sue told them to just go home for rest if they needed to, and that she would call if anything needed to be said.

"I don't feel well..." Max leaned into her boyfriend.

"Nauseous or in pain?" Lukas had his arm around her.

"Neither...It's that raw anxious feeling that sits in your stomach and slowly takes over your whole body..." Max felt her heart aching and her stomach churning. "I'm going to have a sibling...and I already feel like the world's worst older sister."

"Shh, you're not." Lukas moved some hair out of her face. "You're going to be a good big sister."

"No, I'm not...I never made an effort to get mom to stop smoking.  I think she might of even snuck some alcohol. For fucks sake, I don't even think she has everything she needs for a baby." Max was in the pre-sob stage. She could feel her throat burning and the water raising, but she was holding back the tears with everything she had. "That baby might not even make it...it could be severely disabled, and I could of stopped it...doesn't help that the baby is coming a month early."

Lukas pulled her in closer, making sure her face was pressed into his chest. So no one else would see if she started crying. "It was out of your control...Max, you can't help anyone unless they want help."

"I should of forced her– I should of tried!" Max was still holding off the tears but it was getting harder.

"Do you want to pray about it?"

Max looked up like she didn't even know who was holding her. "Pray about it? Lukas, I'm an atheist."

"I know, but sometimes praying makes me feel better. Even though I don't really believe in a god..." Lukas felt bad saying it, because his parents were religious. But they weren't forceful. They let Erica and Lukas develop their own beliefs.

"Fine, I'll pray." Max decided. People tend to pray when they think their life is over. Atheist or not.

"Do you want to pray quietly?" Lukas asked, the waiting area was scattered with a couple other people.