Neil's Arrest

"Mom and dad won't be home for a few hours, so you can just make yourself at home." Lukas led Max into his lush living room. It smelt like smokey vanilla and love. The brown couch was plush and soaked with memories of family movie nights and Christmases. The rug was floral and freshly shampooed, the coffee table was holding candles and books instead of ash trays and empty cans.

"How about your sister?" Max asked. Erica was enough to make anyone feel shy, that kid was so bold.

"It's a Friday, you think she's coming home? She goes straight to Tina's after school on fridays, and we don't see her until Sunday." Lukas sat on the couch and patted the seat next to him. "cuddle?"

"I don't know..." Max crossed her arms. "Apparently the last time we were on a couch, you wrecked me."

"Don't say it like that–" Lukas cringed.

Max laughed at him lightheartedly and sat down beside him. "Sorry, I feel like crap. Irritating you makes me feel better." She stuck her tongue out like a child, to prove she was messing around.

Lukas smiled in admiration. She could still laugh and tease, it wasn't too late to save her. "So...are we going to act like you didn't kiss me?"

Max used her good arm to reach over and cup his face. "You're lucky you're cute, because you're clueless."

Lukas brushed her hand away and huffed. "Well, excuse me for not wanting to assume what you meant be it."

Max got serious again, and put a hand on his leg to get his undivided attention. "What I meant was...I want you to save me. I want you to be with me...if you think you can take it."

"I can take it." Lukas said quickly and forced a nervous smile. "Even if the test was wrong and you are pregnant, I'm still here. I didn't just say that for nothing."

Max smiled too and leaned into him. "Good, because...I just feel like I'm pregnant. I have to be, with all the sex I have...I deserve it at this point." Her sad smile turned into a frown and she cried.

Why didn't I just tell him?

"Well, we'll get you more tests, okay? But right now I want to make sure you're safe at home." Lukas was nervous to explain the situation to his dad, he could only imagine how Max felt. He wanted Neil in jail, forever. But justice isn't that easy. Neil will get a lawyer that will demand evidence. Evidence that Max washed away already. Because the scars Neil has left will be argued invalid. Susan will claim Neil's innocence because without him, she will be on the street. Maybe a witness could help.

Billy, he's a witness. But will he go against Neil?

"If I'm not pregnant, I'm never having sex again." Max declared sarcastically. But then she looked at Lukas, and she knew. She would eventually need to be honest with him. "Especially not on Mike Wheeler's dusty couch."

Lukas cringed again. "Oh god, I feel so bad...I was with the guys awhile after and I kept thinking about it. Actually, I think Dustin was sitting in the exact spot–"

"Oh god!" Max covered her face shamefully. She was really losing respect for herself. "I'm so sorry, Dustin." She said, as if he was in the room.

"Yeah, I feel bad." Lukas did feel bad, but he didn't fully regret it. The only part he regretted was letting drunk Max persuade him.

"Was it at least worth it? Because I don't remember." Max grinned, wondering if he'd share details. He was so coy.

"We shouldn't of done it, but it was definitely something." He spoke like all they did was watch a movie past their bedtimes.