The Truth Is

I'm genuinely concerned about how much I'm writing this...and how I have lost interest for my other projects. I am fixated on this project and I don't know if I should cry or just enjoy the fixation. 😂

Lukas is happy to hear his dad's car pull into the driveway. His mom had to go into work so he was getting bored on his own. Although when Max comes in with Charles' arm around her, he's worried. "Did it go okay?"

"I think she's just a little overstimulated right now, Lukas. Let's leave her to herself in the guest room." Charles removed his arm. "Go ahead, I'll bring your things up."

Max walked to the first step and gestured at Lukas. "Come."

Once Charles was gone back outside, Lukas followed her upstairs. "What's going on?"

"I need to talk to you, I've been...weird. I don't know what's wrong with me..." Her voice was weak and scared.

"Hm? Darling, nothing's wrong with you." Lukas went into the guest bedroom with her and shut the door. "What's going on?"

Max sat on the same satin sheets but they didn't provide much comfort. "I'm just going to say it..."

"Okay...go ahead. I'm listening."

"I'm pregnant."

"Max, we haven't gotten another test yet. You're being paranoid. It's okay, I'm worried too but your test was neg–"

Max groaned and laid back on the bed. "No, Lukas...I...I was going to trick you."

"Trick me?"

"Yes, so I could hide my pregnancy better...I wanted to stage a negative."

"E-excuse me?" Lukas' skin normally had rich color but right now he had none. He was sure all the blood just rushed out of his body.

"I'm pregnant, Lukas...I found out before I tested at Steve's...My mom had a stash of pregnancy tests in the bathroom."

"W-why did you lie?"

"Because..." Max had to be honest now. Be honest or lose the one thing she needed more than anything. "Because I need you, and I thought me being pregnant would scare you off..."

"Max..." Lukas had nothing to say. She lied. She was pregnant. Both were big shocks to his heart.

"And my mom..." Max paused, wondering if this blow might kill Lukas. "She's pregnant too...I figured when I found the stash of tests. She's probably taken one every night...Overkill if you ask me, but she's also the kind of woman to wash a plate several times in one sitting." She was rambling now, but at least she was speaking and Lukas looked like he was listening. Max started to wonder if Neil knew, he had to know. Is that why he stopped touching Susan all together and just relied on Max for sex? If that's the case, Susan must be at least a few months pregnant.

Lukas backed up. "Shit...I need a second." He left the room. Just to breathe, to process this unlikely crisis. Max was pregnant, she wanted to deceive him. Robin is pregnant, she's a lesbian. Susan is pregnant, she's already a mother. Max's mother. Sure Susan isn't as old as some mom's. But how is Max going to feel with a sibling with a 16 year old age gap? It's madness. It's Max's madness, but Lukas is still feeling it like his own.

-

It's two hours before Lukas comes knocking on the guest bedroom. "Max, can we talk now?" He had time to process everything, he was ready to be what he needed to be. A boyfriend, a father potentially.

Max opened the door like she was angry. "Took you long enough..."

"Sorry, it's just a lot...so, you are pregnant?" Lukas couldn't fully believe it yet. The words required a lot of force to get them out.