Mom to Mom

Saturday morning Max was cleaning the kitchen while her mom smoked in the living room. Her mom was miserable, very sick. Sick from the pregnancy, and sick for continuing to smoke with the baby. Max had asked her to stop, even Lukas did once. But Susan was stubborn and at the end of the day it seemed more dangerous to have Susan off nicotine.

I car pulled up outside, Max smiled knowing it was Lukas. Lukas was free to stop by whenever he wanted–as long as Billy's car wasn't in the driveway. And these days Billy was always parked outside Steve's apartment. Max met Lukas at the door, but stopped to collect the heart that dropped out of her chest when she saw him, and his mother. "Uh...h-hello?"

"Is your mother home, Maxine?" Sue clearly came to talk to Susan. The topic was pretty clear.

Max was going to lie for Susan, but figured this was best gotten out of the way. "Come sit in the kitchen, I'll get her." Max went into the living room and plucked the cigarette out of her mom's fingers. "Mrs. Sinclair is here to see you...I think we know what it's about."

"Oh, to hell with it." Susan muttered and got up. When she got to the kitchen, she gestured for Lukas to go into the living room. "Mrs. Sinclair, hello." She faked a positive attitude.

Sue stared at Susan's baby bump before getting comfortable at the kitchen table. "Well then, I see your daughter really does take after you. From the beautiful red hair to the baby..."

Susan faked a smile, but dropped it when Sue didn't bother to fake one in return. "I guess you've been told?"

"I have...Plans have to be made." Sue started. "Lukas tells me Max wants to have this baby, put it up for adoption."

"Whatever Max wants. If she's going to make the grownup choice to have sex, she'll have to make the grownup choices that come with pregnancy too." Susan for once said something logical.

"I suppose, yes...but there's lots of other things to consider here. What if she changes her mind? Wants to be a mother? I mean, our kids are still kids. If they became parents, we would also become parents again in a way– I mean, you're with child, and I have another, younger daughter but... we'd have to help them out. So they can still get an education, so they won't have to suffer forever because of this mistake."

"Look, Mrs. Sinclair-"

"Call me Sue."

"Sue. Max isn't a maternal young girl. Hell, she never even liked babydolls growing up. She used to play with Barbies, but never the babies. She's not dumb enough to think she can be a mother. She won't change her mind."

Sue sighed deeply to compose herself. "But adoption can leave some people feeling empty..."

"Adoption isn't bad, Max probably won't even think of the baby once it's out and adopted."

Sue shook her head, trying to be gentle with Susan since she was pregnant. "I know adoption isn't bad. Adoption is a beautiful miracle for a lot of people...My own Lukas is partially adopted."

"Partially?" Susan tilted her head in confusion.

"His mother and father conceived him pretty young, they were 18-19. His mother killed herself when he was just a newborn. So, he was raised by his single father for a few years. Then, well, I fell in love with his father. Him too, of course. I legally adopted Lukas, and I've never felt he wasn't mine. Sometimes I forget I didn't birth him myself. He's a beautiful miracle that entered my life.  Whatever choice Max makes though, I want it to be one she won't regret."

"I assure you, getting rid of the baby is the best choice for Max–and one I'm sure she'll stick to." Susan tapped on the table with her nails, trying to calm her nerves.