I Need To Talk To You

At officially 2 months pregnant, Max barely showed it. Unfortunately the same could not be said for her 6 months pregnant mother. Who no longer bothered to try to hide it. Billy figured it out, and now spent even more time doing what Max did not want to even think about. Billy being bisexual or whatever– it felt like an insult to Max. How could a homophobic person be queer? She hadn't stopped to ponder internalized issues.

It was Friday night and Max was doing homework. She was doing her best to upkeep her grades. The months ahead might call for plenty of sick days.

Her concentration was cut short when she heard a familiar car at the driveway. Followed by the door opening. Max ran out and threw both arms around her boyfriend. "Lukas! I thought you were too busy to come see me tonight?"

"It's going to take more than work to stop me from seeing you." Lukas worked everyday after school, at the bookstore. He no longer needed to practice for basketball anyway. He was dropped from the team after the last game he played. He couldn't focus on the game with everything going on anyway. It was a total flop, and he had a rule that no one should bring it up ever again. "Have you eaten?"

"Yup, have you?" Max took a shopping bag out of his hand and brought it to the kitchen table. "What's this anyway?"

Lukas followed and wrapped his arms around her from behind. "Gifts for my beautiful girl."

Max raised an eyebrow and reached into the bag. She pulled out a book and smiled brightly. "Old Country by Harrison Query and Matt Query...I've been interested in this one, how'd you know?"

"It just looked like some freaky crap you'd like." Lukas teased and rubbed her back. "There's something else."

"You shouldn't be spending this money on me, there's more important–"

"Nope, shh." Lukas gestured to the bag. "You're worth it. Plus, the bookstore was having a sale, with my employee discount added I practically stole that book from them."

Max huffed and put aside the book. "Well whatever else is in here better be cheap too." Max reached in and pulled out a candle scented like 'Oceanside Citrus'. "Aw...were you hoping to light this up and romance me?"

Lukas laughed and squeezed her gently. "You're cute. I don't need a candle to romance you. Anyway, I got it so you could light it up next to your bath and maybe enjoy your book."

Max put the candle down and turned to face him. "Take me."

"What?"

"You're so fucking hot, take me."

"I got you a candle, cool down before you set off the smoke alarm." Lukas teased.

"You care about me, that's what's so hot." Max put a hand on his chest. "Let me do something for you."

"Like?"

Max shrugged and leaned into his chest. "I could rub your back, or sit–"

"Shh." Lukas stopped her like he knew what she was going to say. "Do you not remember what happened last time we tried to have sex?"

"It was only 3 days ago, I can remember that...plus I'm still sore." Max pouted.

"Right, you're pregnant. Your body isn't going to want to do the same stuff. Sex isn't fun if it's painful for you."

Max moved away and crossed her arms. "This is stupid. If my body can't relax and let you have it, how's it ever going to cope with a way bigger thing–no offense–coming out of it?"

"No offense taken...give your body a break, it's growing a person."

"I guess it deserves a break...you think you'll tell your parents this weekend about the baby?"

Lukas had not told his parents yet. He kept meaning to, but he could never actually get the words out. He knew his parents would forgive him, and do their best to help. But he also knew it would make his mother cry herself to sleep, and his father would pace the halls worrying about things. "I really have to...but I'm scared."

"I know, but we need to tell them..." Max cupped his cheeks and smiled. "And I'll be there with you, so you'll be fine."

"You do have a way of comforting me." Lukas rested his chin on top of Max's head. "You're like a little teddy bear." He squeezed her the way a child would squeeze it's favorite stuffed animal. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." Max whispered. It sounded so natural that they didn't even realize it's the first time she said it out loud. "I want you to go home now and rest."

"You're the one that needs the rest." Lukas argued.

"We both need the rest. Get your ass home and in bed." Max moved away from him and picked up her book and candle. "I have a bath to attend."

"Okay, okay." Lukas sighed with false sadness. "I guess I'll go then, since your bath is soo important."

-

That night Lukas was sitting with his mom on the couch. She was doing crosswords and he was nervously playing with the tassels on one of her favorite throw pillows. "Mom?"

"Yeah?" Sue didn't look up from her crossword, but gave him her attention. "What do you need, baby?"

Baby

That word sounded so scary now.

"I need to talk to you..."

Sue put down her crossword and pen on the coffee table. "What's going on? I knew there was something off about you, you never just sit down on the couch with me for no reason."

Lukas sighed and recalled the words he rehearsed earlier in the day when he was on his lunch break. He knew Max wanted to be there with him, but he thought he needed to do it by himself. "I've messed up...and I feel like I'm going to lose all your respect..."

Sue crossed her arms and leaned back, she was getting ready to tell him off. Lovingly, of course. "Now, what could you have possibly done?"

"Can you promise you won't throw me out?" Lukas couldn't stand the thought of his parents hating him. It was practically impossible anyway.

"Throw you out?" Sue moved closer and wrapped an arm around him. "There's very little you could do that would make me or your father want to throw you out."

"Would getting Max pregnant be enough?" Lukas decided to just spit it out now, right after his mom said they wouldn't throw him out for no solid reason.

"Lukas!" Sue stood up and looked at him like he had just told her pigs were now flying. "Are you crazy?! You better not be playing with your mama!"

"No, mom...she's pregnant...That's why I got the job so suddenly." Lukas felt like a loser already. Doing one of the only things that would hurt his parents. Now with the way his mother was looking at him, he started crying.

"Your father is going to be devastated!" Sue cried out and spoke with her hands. "You know better than this, Lukas! What were you thinking, having sex. What did you think was going to happen?"

"Obviously I didn't think she'd get pregnant..." Lukas mumbled, but Sue heard him as mother's do.

"There's always a risk, that's why you shouldn't be at it until you're older and committed to a person. Lukas, a baby will change your entire future!"

Charles heard Sue going into a frenzy so he came down the stairs and looked at his wife and son. "What's going on down here?"

Sue looked at Lukas with more pain than disappointment. She didn't want this for his life, she wanted him to live his young life fully, then settle down when he was more mature and married. "Well...are you telling him or am I?"

Lukas couldn't even look in the general direction of his father. He covered his face and cried.

This is pathetic, I'm crying like a bitch. How am I supposed to support Max through this? I can't even cope.

"What's going on?" Charles looked at his wife and sat on the couch to put a hand on his son's shoulder. "Whatever you've got to say, just get it out. You'll feel better faster." When Lukas didn't say anything, Charles looked to Sue.

"Maxine is pregnant..."