Chapter 16: Flashbacks

Sans walked out the front door of his house. Where was Papyrus? He was gone for a while, and Sans couldn't just leave Aliza alone at the house. Or could he? The most Aliza has been doing is sleeping and if he could get her to stay quiet when people knock then that would be perfect. He looked around the front yard, then he looked back at Aliza. Aliza was sitting on the couch, wrapped up in the blanket that she was given. She looked so much like Frisk. It kinda hurt in his chest when he looked at her now. He could already imagine Frisk's angry eyes. Those angry eyes that would be focused on him, he smiled at that thought. Then he would have her attention and then what would happen?

"You stay put. I will be back. Also remember, the rest of the underground is just as messed up as here. So no matter where you go, I will find you." Sans told the small child that gave him a nervous look. She slowly nodded at him then he slowly closed the front door. Now all he had to do was find Papyrus and see if his little brother was ok. As soft as the snow felt under his slippers, he couldn't help but wonder. What does Frisk look like now? Did she get any taller? How old is she now? How will Sans respond to seeing her all over again? Probably now well. He put his hands in his pockets.

Snowdin has been Sans's home for a long time now, so how come it didn't feel like home now? Sans sat down on the couch, the news of Asgore's death had just reached him. What was the Underground going to do without it's king? The human souls were missing as well. Frisk was also gone. It's clear that Frisk went to the surface, he hated to admit it but it hurt him deeply to know that she was gone. Why did it hurt? Well she was a friend of his. No, it was something deeper. He had fallen for her. It wouldn't be the first time that Sans had fallen in love but it was the first time he had fallen for someone and only realized it when they left. She abandoned the Underground. No, she only did what was needed for her to leave. How come she couldn't have saved the monsters? Then he heard someone coming up to his station, their footsteps was heard in the snow. He looked over and it was Alphys. What did she need?

"Sans! We need you to talk to Undyne. She is becoming our Queen!" Alphys said nervously. Where was her usual stutter? This sentence felt rehearsed. Sans lifted his head up. Undyne being the Queen didn't sound like a good idea. Sans though was definitely in no position to be king so he probably shouldn't voice his concerns. However there must have been something about Sans face that surprised Alphys because she then said.. "Sans, a-are you c-c-crying?"

Sans looked at Alphys with a great look of surprise, his hand touched his cheek. His fingers felt the salty wetness of tears. He had been crying. When did he start crying? Was he crying because of Asgore being gone or was it because of his realization of him loving Frisk. He looked away from Alphys. He hated others seeing him cry.

Sans kept walking through the forest as he shook his head at that memory. What was the point of that memory? Was it his own mind tormenting him? Probably. Why does that memory hurt still? That doesn't matter, not anymore. With him keeping Aliza, Frisk might come back to the Underground as Sans would finally be able to confess his feelings. However things might go south very quickly. That memory was also one of the last few times that him and Alphys got along. How many more times did he talk to Alphys before his friendship with her was destroyed? Who was at fault for it being destroyed? Sans blamed Alphys for it.

--------------------------------------------

Aliza looked around the skeleton brothers house. She had scraped her knee from the fall she took and as looking for some bandages or something that would be of use. With Sans out of the house, it was the perfect time to search without much questions. Her hands did stop stinging after a while. It's times like this that make Aliza wish that her mother was present. At least this would be easier to deal with. If Aliza never came up to this mountain then nothing would have went wrong. Aliza would have never met the messed up skeleton that had once called her mother. She never would have died so many, countless times. All the new scars that cover her body from every "reset" that she did. She really would have been happier on the surface.