Stuck

There was silence in the air. All you could hear was the rushing of the co-workers around you and the drops of rain, but for Valentine, all she could hear was the heavy breathing of Oscar." I told you, you aren't leaving Valentine." he looked her dead in the eyes, he was out of breath, and his breath smelt like booze." Uhm. Can you back up a little, your breath smells like alcohol, and I know tha-" she couldn't even finish her sentence when a loud crackling thundering boom hit outside. Suddenly all the lights went out and the ground shook. You could hear all the screams and thuds of people in the hotel, it was as if a monster was out to kill them."Ouch!" Valentine yelped as she landed on the hard oak wood floors."Woah, what just happened...?" asked Valentine as she tried to get up from the floor. "Well, I think that a big lighting hit the hotel and all the electricity went out and created an earthquake, but you probably think it was just some magical unicorns landing on the roof." Oscar mocked. "Not the time for jokes.." she muttered. "Sorry, I couldn't hear your muttering." "It was probably nothing." scoffed Oscar."Would you stop? We are in the middle of a power outage and it's pitch black! I might have hurt myself..." Val said. "What? your feelings?" Oscar laughed. "It's not funny right now. Stop with your annoying jokes!" Valentine said. "Sorry, just wanted to 'lighten' the mood." Oscar snickered. "It's not funny! Stop it!" Valentine yelled. "I'm leaving now!" Valentine crawled and felt for the door, once she found it she stood up and tried opening it. It was stuck.

"Uhm..the doors stuck.." she said as she tried to open the door once more."What?" Oscar asked confused as he walked to the door. "You're right, it is stuck." He pulled his phone out and put his flashlight on, as he shone it on the door he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. "Valentine? Are you ok? You look very dizzy and tired.." he said as he turned to look at her. "Don't you want to sit down?" he was beginning to get more concerned as she didn't speak. A few seconds went by.. still no response. "Val?" he asked. "Valentine answer me." a few minutes went by. "Valentine." Oscar looked her dead in the eye again." Yeah? What-?" she asked sounding extremely drowsy. Before he could ask her if she was alright she started to wobble around. "Oi, you don't move an inch. You're clearly tired, go sit somewhere, I don't want you getting hurt," he said holding her shoulders still with his phone in his one hand. "Okay.." she mumbled before tumbling and falling to the ground. "Valentine!" Oscar yelled.

"Boss?" someone was at the door. "What?" he barked as he knelt to Valentine holding her in his arms. "Unfortunately, there is, and still is a power outage so all our electric things, including your door, are not useable and the electricity will only be restored in the morning." the person explained at the door."Ok..but what about the hotel rooms? Do they have any electricity-and don't we have enough electricity stored in our generators?" he asked. "That's the problem, we gave all the electricity we currently have stored up to our hotel rooms, and we don't use those generators a lot..and remember the last time we used those generators was when we had fewer hotel rooms, and used less power." the person again explained. "Well,alright-just make sure that all the hotel rooms have power, and then be on your way." "Alright boss, goodnight." the person then walked away, and you could hear their feet turn around and walk. Oscar almost forgot about Valentine when he felt something shift in his arms.

She had moved her head slightly to his chest. Her lips were slightly blue and she was breathing softly and slowly. Her pin-straight ginger hair was still in a bun from before, her body was cold but also warm. "Alright...Since we'll be stuck in here until morning then I better make you somewhere to rest." Oscar said as he picked her up and put her on his chair. He began making her a resting place, with pillows from the couch and his jacket as a blanket. He carefully put her on the couch and put his jacket over her. "There. Now you better get some rest." Oscar said as he turned around and sat in his chair. "I guess I'll just finish these reports and then try and go to sleep." Oscar sighed. He started at 10 pm and ended at 1 am. Oscar yawned. "Well I better try and sleep now.." he said closing his laptop and getting comfortable on his chair. He crossed his arms and put them on the table, which he rested his head on. "Alright..finally getting some sleep.." he yawned.

After 20 minutes he finally fell asleep, but was awoken by a thunder striking outside. "Ah, man...I fell asleep this time.." Oscar whispered to himself as he awoke. He leaned over to check how Valentine was doing. She was fast asleep with her face deep into one of the pillows, but she was also shaking a bit. He frowned a bit but then chuckled softly. Just then another thunder hit. Oscar almost jumped out of his seat but softly chuckled to himself a few seconds after. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for Valentine. She was shaking a bit and almost whimpering."Is she scared of thunder?" Oscar thought. Just then another thunder hit outside. This one was different from the others. You could hear it crackling in the sky. It was loud and clear. Oscar jumped out of his seat, this time he really did. He looked in Valentine's direction. She was now shaking a lot, and whimpering. "Jeez..what the hell did the thunder do to this poor girl.." he thought as he shook his head. He walked towards the couch and sat down by her curled-up, shaking body."Hey.. it's ok.. don't worry the thunder isn't going to hurt you.." comforted Oscar. He was stroking her back as if she was a baby."Damn if this thunder can shake her up then it must have done something traumatizing to her in her younger years..." he thought and shook his head. Valentine calmed a bit down but was still curled up in a ball. Oscar yawned and they sat in silence as the only thing you could hear was the shaking of the trees outside, the wind blowing and the raindrops falling in a pattern. It was for once, calm and a bit quiet. Oscar was now alone in his thoughts. He looked over at Valentine. As he was sitting there he started to realize that she was actually one of the most hardworking staff here at the hotel. And how she was friendly and kind and pretty and kind of..cute.Oscar shook his head "No, no, no...it can't be true..am I really falling in love with one of my employees..?" he thought.

Oscar yawned for one last time before closing his eyes and falling asleep in a sitting position. Later on, he woke up, not knowing that he did, and laid down behind Valentine. He put one of his arms over her and they slept peacefully for the rest of the night.