Six

*Parker's POV*

"I'll walk Jules home." Nate threw his arm around her shoulder, instantly losing his smile when she scowled, ducking out of his hold with a roll of her eyes.

"I do not need walking home."

"You're being walked home." Tess raised an eyebrow. "If I have to do it myself I will." Not a chance. Jules didn't need walking home. This town was beyond safe, especially these 3 girls. No one would go near Jules unless they had to. She had a horrible right hook we'd all felt at least once. "Lina would actually kill me if she found out I let either of you walk home alone."

"Aww Lina loves us."

"Lina doesn't love anyone." She snarked, stumbling her words only a little as she tried to come across as sober as possible. "She hates the idea of something happening to anyone. Just let Nate walk you home before the suns up." Jules grumbled an agreement before repeating their plans for tomorrow, of course it wasn't in the morning. They all 100% would be hungover to shit tomorrow there wasn't a doubt about it. Jayde was giggling into Aiden's chest which is the only evidence you need that she's wasted. The conversation ended pretty quickly, Aiden pulling Jayde home with Tyler hot behind them, Nate trying to keep up with a ranting Jules and Tessa turning and heading her own way home without an escort.

As much as I was glad no one else said they would take her home, I'm a little annoyed she didn't ask me. Not that she's asked me anything tonight. She was easy this morning. Uncomfortable, sure. But she was talking to me, lying left right and centre but her words were coming out at me and they were normal. Not angry or sad or happy. Just a middle ground of no emotion. But tonight, all the recognition I'd had from her that she was aware I existed was that fucking song and how she looked at me for most of it.

I couldn't put my finger on how I knew but I knew it was hurting her. Maybe I'd caught her off guard this morning and her having the day to remember I was here had reminded her of everything I did. Or maybe she was just putting on a show for Jules and Jayde. Whatever it was, Jayde had chosen that song for a reason.

"Why are you following me Parker?"

"Walking you home."

"I don't need walking home, I'm perfectly A, capable and B, safe."

"Yeah well, I'd rather know that for myself. I don't think your friend would be too happy to know you were walking yourself home from the bar pissed out of your mind."

"She'd rather me walk home alone than walk home with you." She muttered. I took a few quicker steps to catch up, falling in line beside her and having to remind myself she wasn't mine to touch right now.

"I haven't heard you sing in years." She stopped.

"And who's fault is that exactly?" I hadn't seen her this mad, ever. Like if she wanted too she could pull my skin off my face. The sunrise bouncing off her eyes with the streetlights, brow low on her forehead. "Because I'm pretty sure every single person in this town was told when I got the role, to let my mom know if they wanted to come. Last time I checked you never have and you obviously talk to her often since you were in my house unaccompanied this morning. Nate and Tyler and Jayde and Aiden and Jules have been up. You've had more than one opportunity to come up to New York if you wanted to. Don't stand there and have the nerve to act like you're surprised you haven't heard me sing when you haven't been to see the show."

"I never said someone else was to blame Tessa, I know it's my own fault." She crossed her arms. "I should have never asked you to stay for me Tess."

"Well, you did." Tessa shrugged, dropping her arms down to her side. "You did and you told me I'd be back here in a few years and you didn't want me to waste my time on something that was going to end in me coming back home anyway."

"Come on Tess-"

"Does it look like I'm wasting my time Parker? I'm on stage 6 days a week. I'm the fucking star of a Broadway Musical that the whole god damn world is talking about. Does that sound like it's unattainable? Like I'm going to wind up back here packing bags at the store for the rest of my life?"

"Tess-"

"No. I've had it Parker. I've had it with you thinking you know the future and looking down on the people who told me I'd never do it whilst you were thinking the exact same thing. For 2 years I told you I would make it to New York. I'd graduate College and I'd be on Broadway and you agreed. You told me I could do anything and then just as I'm leaving you tell me I can't? Do you have any idea how much work it took, how lonely New York is when you're no one and your own boyfriend told you you'd never make it?"

"Tessa I'm-"

"You're what? Sorry? Sorry for what? Lying to me? Trying to hold me back? Not believing in me? Breaking my heart?" All of it.

"Yes. Tessa. I'm sorry for all of it. I can't- I can't go back. I can't shut my own fucking mouth before I said a thing. I was worried you were going to get disappointed and it would break you Tess. I didn't want you to get hurt."

"That's really funny because of all the people in this town telling me exactly what you did. You're the one that hurt me the most. You can take your apology and shove it up your ass. I don't want it. I don't want useless apologies that aren't going to undo anything. I don't want you pretending like you give a fuck just because you want to look like the better person right now. I don't need closure. I don't need you to try and tell me you regret it or that want to go back and undo it because I know you can't. I don't want-" She sighed, looking over her shoulder back at her house and bringing her voice down from the yelling she'd done most of the walk home. "I don't want you to tell me how you've been if it's been great or terrible. I don't want to tell you how I've been because you don't deserve to know."

"Tess, can we just-" I took a step closer and her shaky hands came up, forcing me to stop as she sniffed, wiping a single tear from her cheek. "I'm sorry Tess. I can't tell you how sorry I am."

"I don't want to hear it right now Parker."

"Tomorrow night then? I'll- I'll pick you up after your plans with the girls and we can-"

"No Parker."

"Tess-"

"The less I see you whilst I'm here Parker, the better it is for everyone. Coming out tonight was a mistake." She pushed her hair out of her face, back to feeling uncomfortable and I hate making her feel like that. I hate what I've done to my Tessa. "Thanks for walking me home. I'll see you at the wedding." She turned around, walking up the three steps to reach the front door grabbing the key from it's normal 'secret' spot and unlocking the door.

"I'll pick you up Tess."

"I'm not getting in your truck."

"I'm picking you up." I wasn't taking no for an answer. "6pm. Jayde's house. I'll be there. I swear I'll be there."