Twenty Six

*Tessa's POV*

6 days.

It's been 6 days since I last put my phone on airplane mode and stopped replying to everyone.

6 days since my last conversation with someone who wasn't dropping off a parcel or a food delivery at 1am when I couldn't sleep or a damn flower shop owner.

Now it was 5am on a Monday morning and I was sat at the end of my bed exhausted with my eyes closed and an orange sunrise burning through the window. I had been hoping that this time alone would make me feel better. I haven't left the house for more than an hour to run around the block. I was going to make it to Central Park today. I was going to sit in the park on the grass with my earphones in so loud I can't hear the city and I'm going to feel the breeze and I'm going to try to spend just 5 minutes not thinking about this whole mess.

It was my own doing. I know that. If I'd been strong enough to just leave Ben in the first place. If I'd told Lina and Wells and Logan about it when it happened, they'd have helped me pay my bills so I could stay. I could have found a temporary job, worked with Wells between auditions. If I'd have told him I didn't want the ring. Told him I didn't want him. Told him I didn't want to marry a man I didn't trust and I couldn't pretend to be in love with him anymore.

If I'd have had my head screwed on, I'd have driven back to Stonebrook to mend my heart and not work out my future plan. I'd have told my mom we broke up and we'd have eaten ice cream and laughed about it all. I'd have seen Parker in the kitchen and not been so defensive. I'd have gone to the bar on Friday night and yelled at him and then I'd have told the girls that I was single on Saturday and they'd have pushed me to him. I could have spent that whole week working out how we were going to make me and him work. Wells could have been screaming at his brother to stay away from me and Logan would have been holding Lina back and I'd have been at Jayde's wedding last week laughing with him and dancing and being in love with him openly. He'd have taken me home and we'd have made love and it wouldn't have been a bad thing and I'd have woken up to a please come back to me text from Ben and I'd have shown Parker and we'd have laughed about it.

But none of that happened.

Because I didn't end it with Ben.

I didn't realize I was still in love with Parker and then call Ben and say there's someone else, sorry but we're over.

I didn't tell Parker no. I didn't tell him to stop. I didn't refuse to call myself his in the back of his truck in his sweater. I didn't tell him it couldn't happen. I didn't tell him it was wrong. I didn't tell him to back off. I didn't tell him anything.

I kept saying everything with me and Ben was fine. I've been saying me and him are fine for years. I've been refusing to admit the mess I was standing in just because he was easy and I knew what to expect. I knew I couldn't trust him and I knew he probably didn't want me like I wanted him in the first place.

There was a knock at the door and I sighed, climbing out of bed, pulling the worn out tee shirt down over my knees slightly. I peered through the lens, not expecting anyone. I screwed my face up, unlocking and opening the door.

"Sorry to wake you up ma'am. Just a delivery for you to sign for."

"What is it?" He nodded to the floor beside him.

"200 hundred daisies." He held out a clip board and I sighed, shaking my head.

"Can you- um- can you take them back? Send him his money back. I'll call and pay for them myself. You can sell them again and make a double profit on them."

"I don't know if-"

"Look. I can't sign for them. I don't want him to have paid for them. I know you don't want to lose the money. I'll call right now and pay over the phone."

"My manager would have to-"

"You have a card?" He nodded, taking a card from the pocket on his shirt. "What's your name?"

"Parker." I looked up at the boy, no older than 19. I sniffed.

"The world loves coincidences." I scribbled his name on the card not that I needed to forget. "What's your managers name? You're a small business right?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. The owners name?"

"Sophie." I nodded, scribbling her name down too.

"Okay then Parker. I'll call Sophie now and sort it. Keep doing a good job kid. You'll go places if you work at it. Don't let people tell you you won't." He gave me a small smile, hoisting the flowers up and heading back down the corridor.

I sighed, coming back in and locking the door sitting myself back in my spot, taking my phone of airplane mode and letting it blow up quietly beside me as I looked out at the skyline. I wonder if you can die from a heart break you caused yourself. I waited until my phone fell silent to dial the number on the card.

"Hi, this is Sophie's flowers. Sophie speaking how can I help?"

"Hi Sophie. This is Tessa Larson, you're guy Parker just tried to deliver 200 daisies."

"AH! Yes! Is something wrong?"

"No. Yes. It's complicated. Listen, I've refused the delivery. The guy that's sent them, I need you to give him his money back."

"But I-"

"I'll pay for them myself."

"But you sent them-"

"I know I sent them back. It's complicated Sophie. Really really complicated. I'm not going to give you the details but I need him to have his money back."

"He already made me swear they were nonrefundable."

"So, tell him you changed your policies. How much were they?"

"200 dollars." This man was costing me so much money, goodbye apartment deposit.

"Okay. I'll pay 250 for you to send his money back. 50 dollar tip for you and Parker for the inconvenience. Are the details on your webpage?"

"Um- yes- it's Venmo- Are you sure Miss Larson? He was very specific about what the note had to say."

"You'll call him to say you're returning the money?"

"I'll have to yes."

"Tell him I said he has to stop. I'll send the money over now."

"Wait. Do you mind if I ask what he did? I'm just being nosey." She giggled.

"He didn't do anything. He's the perfect guy. I just need to work a lot of things out and him sending flowers every day isn't helping. You're the 6th flower shop I've had to do this with this week."

"Wow. Determined."

"Yeah." My phone buzzed and I pulled back.

🌲Parker🌲

New message
Morning Tess x
Oh my god that delivered
Your phone's on
Tess?
Please don't be on the phone to
that flower shop too. I'm running
out of shops baby x
Please pick up.

I groaned, pulling my phone back to my ear.

"He's awake. I'm going now Sophie, I need to turn my phone off again. Thank you. I appreciate it." I ended the call, putting my phone back onto airplane mode for the next 24 hours before I have to do it all again.