Ten

*Parker's POV*

There wasn't much I could say after her big reveal. That I hadn't just broken her heart and hurt her and ruined how she was looking at Stonebrook. I'd ruined her whole life plan. A plan I didn't even know I had existed inside of for her. Tess hated plans being ruined and I just drove off after an argument not knowing the impact it had actually had. Turns out my fuck up ran a lot deeper than a surface level heart break. It wasn't going to be fixed with an apology and a bouquet of roses. She hadn't denied being on the rocks with whatever his name was. She tried to. But knowing I can tell when she's lying I think she realized there wasn't any point in denying it. I don't know what he's done to get her like this, I don't know why she's here having this crisis and he's not here and I don't know why she's sat in my car as I drive the long way home with the CD she burned me in high school still playing in the player. I don't think she knew it was hers. She'd work it out eventually.

Tessa owns my heart. Whether she knows it or not right now, she always will be the girl I compare everyone else to. She's the girl I dream about being in my bed, in my truck, in my arms. I knew what I had. I knew who Tessa was before she knew who she was. She was mine. That's all that mattered. Now she was literally here and I have this crazy theory I could turn the tide in my favour if I played this right. Everything was crystal clear with me. She'd said. Now it's foggy. She'd said. She couldn't see her future like she could with me. She saw a future with me that she can't see with him. She doesn't want to be with him. She doesn't love him but she doesn't want to say that.

"Hey," I reached over, turning the volume down a little. "Do you have plans tomorrow?"

"Just some cardio. I've missed a few days and I don't want to slack off too much, it'll be harder when I'm back at work. I need to be fit to keep up."

"Okay," I nodded, looking over at her. Her hands lay limp in her lap gently tracing over her finger tips. "How about we go for a hike? I have a few jobs to do first thing in the morning whilst people are at church but I can pick you up at 11, it's set to be a really nice day. I'll pack some food and we can just get out of town for the day."

"I don't think-"

"Tess," I pulled into her drive, turning in my seat and taking in a slow breath. "It's just me babe. If you don't want to talk about him we won't. I just want to spend time with you before you're gone again. Everyone else has seen you so often. They haven't missed you like I have. I've got 7 years of visits to make up for. I'll reschedule all of my work for the next 3 weeks if it means I get to spend it with you."

"Which hike?"

"Riverside?" She tried to remain nonchalant but I saw that quick smile. I saw how her eyebrows raised, the hint of her dimples coming out. "Okay, Riverside. I'll pick you up at 11."

"Do you need me to bring anything?"

"Just yourself and your water." She nodded, unbuckling her belt and pushing the door open. "I'll text you when I'm on my way over."

"You have my number?" I smiled at her. No. But I was gonna get it. "How- You know what? I don't care. I'm exhausted."

"Go sleep Tess. I'll see you in the morning Gorgeous." A tint of pink on her cheeks as she stared at me. I swear, she wanted to say something. Her shoulders rise and fell, lips rising in a half smile before turning and walking back to the house. I'd have to get used to this. Dropping her back home on an evening. This Deja Vu was painful as fuck. Watching her walk up into the house when I'm sat here in the same truck. I waited until she was in the house before I pulled out, heading straight to Jayde's.

I needed to know what was going on with this boyfriend of hers and if anyone knew, it'd be her. I was going to have to fight for the information and I knew for a fact the only way I was going to get what I needed is if I was honest with her about what I wanted and why what I wanted was for the best.

I pulled up outside the house I'd picked Tess up from a few short hours ago, grabbing the emergency bottle of wine from the back of my truck. Bribe her, get the information, get her number get home and get everything sorted for tomorrow.

My fist tapped on the door, Aiden opened the door a few short seconds later, eyes narrowing on me.

"Hey Parker, all good?"

"Yeah man. Is Jayde in?"

"Uh- yeah. What's up?"

"I just need Jayde." I held up the bottle of wine and he rolled his eyes.

"I'm taking the dog for a walk. She's in the kitchen. I'll be back in 20. I expect my fiancée to be untouched man."

"You are so on the wrong path Aiden. I want Tessa not Jayde." I pushed past him, heading through the all too familiar house that was almost a second home to me. Our group spent a little too much time here since they moved in.

"Who was at the- oh- hi Parker." I got her a glass from the cupboard, holding up the bottle of her favourite red and pouring the glass, sliding it across the counter. "What do you want?"

"Tess." I swallowed. "I want Tess." She sighed, grabbing the glass and nodding for me to sit down at her counter opposite.

"And here I thought you were bringing me wine because you're nice."

"Why is she home Jayde?"

"Needed some space to think."

"No. I want the real reason. The reason she's told you and no one else."

"That's what she's told me Parker."

"What's going on with the boyfriend?"

"Ben?"

"If that's his name then yeah."

"Nothing really. I don't think-"

"Jayde?"

"Parker."

"I don't think you understand how dead set I am on getting her back. It'll be a hell of a lot easier if you just tell me what you know rather than this back and forth. I'll leave the wine when I'm done but I've got things to sort before I take her hiking tomorrow so if we can skip the whole 'I don't know anything' that'd be great."

"Why the hell should I be telling you a damn thing Parker? You did this to yourself."

"I know I did. But she's just sat and told me her future was crystal fucking clear with me and now she can't even see tomorrow. Does that sound like a relationship that's going well to you? Because to me it sounds like she doesn't love him but doesn't know what to do about it."

"Of course, she doesn't love him you dipshit. He's literally the most un-Tessa guy in existence. She went from being madly in love with the guy and mentioning him every chance she could and posting him on social media to nothing. So much so that we actually asked her if they'd split."

"When was that?"

"I don't know? About 9 or so months after they started dating?"

"And they've been together 3 years?" She nodded. "Did you find out why it changed?"

"She just said it was cringey posting someone else so much like your life revolves around them. They haven't been the same since though."

"What do you mean?"

"They argue a lot. She says everything is fine but she's not smiling as bright in the pictures. She was in the Caribbean with him before she got here. She was supposed to be away until like 4 days before the wedding and then she was coming down the day after she got home."

"So, she cut the trip short?" She nodded. "Tessa doesn't change plans like that."

"I know. But she says everything's fine and I'm too busy finishing sorting the wedding to be coddling her. If somethings wrong she can tell me or handle it alone."

"Somethings wrong Jayde. How can you not see it? This isn't Tess. None of this is Tess."