Ch. 24

*Colby pov*

I pulled up at the hospital and Jake and I hesitantly got out. We walked in and saw Kat sitting in a chair bouncing her leg and biting her nails. This all became very real. Very very real.

"Have you heard anything?" Jake asked as we approached her she shook her head and kept her eyes glued on the big double doors leading to the back of the hospital.

People were coming in and out of those doors, some happy some sad some annoyed. There weren't many people in the waiting area when we first got there but now it was pretty full. A doctor would come out every thirty-ish minutes and would walk up to a family so far none of the have left in tears, I hope we don't either.

The doors opened again, this time the man walked over to us. "Are you guys here for someone?" I looked up at him and nodded. "Yeah, Samual Golbach. He was in the car accident." The doctors face twisted into confusion, he looked down at his clipboard and flipped through the pages. "We don't have anyone here by that name. However there was an unidentified body at the scene, could you show me a picture of him to see if he matches the description?" My heart dropped. I shakingly i pulled out my phone and scrolled through my camera roll to find a clear picture of him. I tried to steady my hand as I showed him. He looked down at his papers then back at the picture a few times before sighing. "I'm so sorry." He sympathized, his next few words were inaudible. I dropped my phone, Kat let out a loud cry before walking outside. The doctor walked away back into the abyss of the hospital. Jake grabbed my shoulder and handed me my phone.

When we got outside I completely lost it. I couldn't stop shaking and my eyes were completely blurred with tears. I slid down the concrete wall and covered my face. "It- its all- my fa- fault." I said in a shaking tone. "No, no o-ne could've pre-predicted this. It's not your fault man." Jake replied through his own tears. "No. I-if if i n-ever- if I never." I stopped and tried to even my breathing, but it didn't work so I continued. "If i never texted Ver-Veronica b-ack he would've, he would've never felt the way he did. He would've n- never done any of this." No one spoke for a while. "I'm so fucking sorry." My voice had gone high and scratchy. "So fucking sorry." Jake sat next to me then Kat did too. We all sat there just letting everything sink in. "We have to tell Amy." Kat muttered pulling out her phone. "Fuck. My phone died."

"We shouldn't tell her over text anyway. I'll go tell her." I stood up and Kat grabbed my shoulder. "You can't drive right now, please just call someone." i nodded and pulled out my phone to call an uber.

                                ...

"Where to?" The driver asked, i pulled out my phone and read him the address. I tried to hold back my tears but to no avail. "You okay man?" He guy asked. "My boyfriend just di- died, I'm on my way to tell his sister." It felt weird to say. Awful to say. His face softened and he stopped the car in front of the house. "I'm so sorry, I can wait here for you if you want. So you don't have to buy another ride." I shook my head, "No it'll be a while. Thanks though." I stepped out of the car and walked up to the door.

Knock knock knock

After a minute of silence o heard the door unlock. "Colby? Sam's in bed and I'm positive he doesn't want to see you." My heart sunk, she thought he was safe at home. I felt the need to cry but i just couldn't. Amy saw my face change and picked up on sadness. "Colby whats going on?"
"Can I come in?" She nodded and stepped to the side.

"Do you want anything, water or something?" I shook my head and sat on the couch. "So whats up?" She asked sitting next to me. "Sam isn't home." Her face twisted into confusion. "He went out to dinner tonight with Kat. Fuck. Um he uh." She moved her hands in a hurry up type of motion. "Theres no easy way to say this." "Well spit it out. You're scaring me." I took a second to collect myself. "He got hit by a car-" "Is he okay?!? How bad was it?" She shot up from the couch and continued to yell questions at me. I put my head in my hands as my ability to cry came back. "Can I go see him?" I shook my head. Everything went silent. "Why not?" I looked up at her, I didn't even have to say anything for her to start freaking out. "No no! I have to go see him. I have to make sure he's okay, I'm supposed to protect him." Tears started pouring out of her eyes. "I'm sorry." Thats all I was able to say. She continued to sob and sob.

Jake
How's it going there?

Colby
I mean i just fucking told her that her brother died. How do u think its going

Jake
Im sorry
They're sending his body to a morgue. we can see him tomorrow morning.
Kat and I r going home, let us know when you'll be here

Colby
Okay
I love u guys

Jake
We love u too

I spent that night with Amy. She needed someone and so did I. She lost her brother and I lost the love of my life in a freak accident.

I didn't fully hit me until the next morning when i woke up in his bed and he wasn't there. He wouldn't be there. I was hoping it was a dream, but clearly it wasn't.

...

Seeing him hurt. He was bruised beyond belief, his eyes were swollen. He looked like he was in so much pain. Kat and Amy had to leave the room, seeing him made them sick. Jake and I stood there in silence for ten minutes before walking out as well.

"So were we thinking a big or small funeral?" The man helping us seemed a little too cheerful to have the job he did. "Small." Amy said in a hushed tone. "Alrighty, well we have a five to ten, a ten to twenty, and a twenty to thirty as our small options." The only people attending would be Me, Jake, Amy, Kat, Tara, and Johnnie. "Five to ten will be fine." I said grabbing one of the brochures he put on the table. "Perfect. If you're interested in that venue we have an opening for it in four days." We all looked at each other and nodded, the guy wrote it in a planner. "So after the service were you thinking of burying him or cremation?" I looked at Amy who looked at me, her eyes told me to answer. "Cremation." The guy nodded again then handed me a paper. "So check over that make sure everything's right, if it is sign the bottom right there. We do need a fifty percent down payment today and the other fifty the day of the service." Everything looked correct. I signed the paper and wrote the man a check for three thousand dollars.

_______
1265 words

Also im kinda getting back in my groove so posts should be more frequent