Tamara's Friend Captured

Mary's POV

Mary's POV

So it's been twenty years since I last walked on land and became a true mermaid. Life is great and I have really embraced my new life. The thing I haven't embraced is luring sailors to their death. Tamara does, but her friend Syrena doesn't. Syrena often asks me about life on land. Tamara stopped after a few years. Mum passed a few years ago, leaving Tamara and I alone. We look nearly identical, but don't have similar views on being mermaids. Because we were raised differently, she was raised as a mermaid and I was raised human.

Anyway, I have a feeling that something bad will happen tonight. Tamara thinks I'm being paranoid. But Syrena knows my instincts are never wrong. I just pray I am wrong.

"So what do you think will happen?" Syrena asks as we swim.

"I don't know, but it'll be bad" I tell her.

"Think some of us will be hurt?" she asks.

"I don't know, I hope not" I tell her. "I may not agree with some of the things the pod does, but it's our family. I'd hate if anything happened to any of you" I state.

"No man can catch us in the water" she assures me. "Except maybe the Dutchman" she adds.

"Yeah, but the people on that ship aren't men" I tell her sadly. "I feel so bad for Will, he was doing so well with his duty. But now the curse is starting to claim him as it did Jones" I state.

"He is your friend, yes?" she asks.

"One of them" I state. "I wish there was a way he could return to land and no longer be cursed" I tell her.

"There is" she says.

"There is?" I ask surprised.

"It's a secret and it has never been found" she tells me. "A treasure exists, a treasure that can break any sea curse. A treasure that holds all the power of the sea" she explains.

"Poseidon's trident?" I ask. She nods her head.

"It posses many powers, one of the which is the power to control merpeople. So our ancestors got it away from Poseidon so no one could control them anymore. So they could be free" she explains.

"So that we could be free" I say and she nods her head.

"It did not last, it was stolen by Torrents. He used it to control us, driving us from our home. Forcing us to pillage and plunder all the oceans of the world, giving him all the loot they found" she explains.

"How did they get free?" I ask curious.

"The Blue-tails commissioned Jack Sparrow with the task of reacquiring the Trident from Torrents" she states and I look at her surprised.

"Captain Jack Sparrow?" I ask.

"Know any other Jack Sparrows?" she asks me. "Anyway, after an intense duel Jack managed to take possession of the weapon and blast Torrents into the sea, where thousands of infuriated merpeople were waiting to devour him. Rather than allowing the Blue-tails to resume their tyranny, however, Jack, taking advantage of his new position as King of the Merfolk, chose to free them, putting the Trident in the keep of the merman Tonra and earning the merpeople's immense gratitude and reverence" she explains.