Prologue: Meeting Will

(Eight years ago) Maryrose's POV

My name is Maryrose Goldstein and I'm a thirteen year old orphaned girl from England. I've been an orphan since my pirates died from a sickness that swept through our town. I was only eight at the time. I had no other relatives, so I lived on the streets. A thief took me under his wing and show me the ropes.

But he's kicked me out, saying I can look after myself now. So I decided to start a new life somewhere new. I heard about a voyage leaving for Port Royal and stowed away. Nothing back the clothes on my back.

I'd been using the cover as a cabin boy to walk around the ship freely. When I walked around the ship I found out the new Governor of Port Royal is on board with his daughter. Her name is Elizabeth Swann and is twelve years old. I've been avoiding her.

I never really got along with girls since my parents death. Besides I had to make plans for my new life in Port Royal. Sure I'll still be a Pilferer, but I need to find a safe place to live. I also must never be caught or I'd be hanged for sure.

A few days into the voyage I'm sitting on the mast looking down at Elizabeth. Who is singing a pirate song. "Yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me Yo, ho, yo, ho, it's a pirate's life for me. Drink up me hearties yo ho..." she sings. As she goes to continue Mr Gibbs places a hand on her shoulder. Startling her. I like Mr Gibbs, he tells good stories. He's the one who gave me the job as cabin boy.

"Quiet, missy! Cursed pirates sail these waters. You want to call 'em down on us?" he asks her. I roll my eyes. There is now such thing as curses. Sure pirates may sail these waters, but they aren't cursed.

"Mr Gibbs, that'll do" Norrington states as he appears. He's a young lieutenant of the royal navy.

"She was singing about pirates. Bad luck to sing about pirates, with us mired in this unnatural fog-- mark my words" Gibbs tells him.

"Consider them mark, go find your cabin boy" Norrington tells him.

"Aye sir" Gibbs says. I see him mumble something to himself. Probably something about it being bad luck to have a woman aboard. If he knew I was girl, he'd probably have a heart attack.

"I think it'd be rather exciting to meet a pirate" Elizabeth tells Norrington. I roll my eyes, there is nothing exciting about meeting a pirate. Bunch of thieves, murderers and low lives. I tune back into the conversation as the Governor appears. He tells Norrington to stop talking about pirates and the lieutenant leaves. "Actually I find them fascinating" she tells her father.

"Yes, that's what concerns me" the Governor tells her. "Elizabeth, dear... we will be landing in Port Royal very soon, and beginning our new lives. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we comport ourselves as befits our class and station?" he asks.

"Yes, father" she says and turns away from him. I relax against the mast looking out at the horizon. "A boy! There's a boy in the water!" Elizabeth shouts. I look to see she's right and swing down onto the deck beside Gibbs.

"Where you been lad?" he asks me.

"Exploring" I say shrugging as they pull the boy aboard.

"Mary mother of god" he says looking a head of the ship. I turn to see a wrecked burning British ship. I could of sworn I saw black sails disappear in the smoke. "Get below deck lad" Gibbs tells me and I do so.

(Later that night)

I'm standing on the rails at the stern of the ship. I look up at the clear starry sky. "Hi" a voice says and I turn to see the boy they'd fished from the sea. "I didn't know there was another kid here aside from Elizabeth" he states. "I'm Will Turner" he says holding a hand out.

"Maryrose Goldstein, call me Mary" I say shaking his hand.

"You're a girl" he says surprised.

"Sh, don't tell everyone" I tell him firmly.

"Sorry, I'm just surprised" he tells me.

"It's fine, just call my Marco in front of the others" I tell him smiling.

"Sure, so why are you here?" he asks me.

"To start a new life, you?" I ask him.

"I was searching for my father, but I guess I'll be living in Port Royal from now on" he states.

"Great, at least I'll have one friend" I say smiling.

"Will, is that you?" a voice asks and I turn my back to it as Elizabeth appears. So that she doesn't see my face. "I thought I heard you" she says and I can just imagine her smiling. "It's cold out here, you should rest. You too" she tells us.

"I have chores to do, good night Will. Miss Swann" I say in a deeper voice before leaving. I go to where I'd been sleeping in the store room. I curl up pulling a blanket over myself and full asleep.

A/N

Picture above of thirteen year old Maryrose and picture on external link of her outfit.