Chapter 15

"What the fuck?"

My cousin's voice rang clearly around me as Sharky and I pulled away from each other.

I felt kind of guilty as I saw the confusion and slight anger on his face but mostly it was the look of betrayal that seemed to break me.

The rest of the beta squad watched as my cousin walked down the row, on his way to the exit. I tried to catch up to him but somehow he managed to keep his fast pace until he reached the car park. I was practically panting by the time I caught up to him. The boys had followed us, and were catching up as we started the conversation.

"I swear I wasn't trying to keep it a secret-''

"Are you sure, because it really looked like you were.'' Aj asks, and then paused. ''All those times you went out 'alone'... were you with him?"

"Yes." I say honestly for the first time in a while.

''I don't get it...why would you lie?'' Aj questions.

''We just wanted to keep it between us for a while.'' I mumble.

''So you been dating this whole time?'' Chunkz says.

I look at him. ''No. We haven't been dating that long-''

''Wait - you're actually dating?''

I turn back to my cousin. ''Not for long though. We were just going on dates.''

''Did you both just pretend to hate each other?'' Kenny presses.

I sigh heavily. I knew we would be asked questions, but this was getting ridiculous. It had only been a few minutes, and I had already been asked countless things. I really didn't want to bother dealing with this. I look at my boyfriend, who is already looking at me. I narrow my eyes, and he nods once.

''No, but it was just a misunderstanding.'' sharky replies, now taking over the conversation.

It's quiet for a moment and then Aj speaks. ''I don't like this.''

''What?'' i ask.

''You and Sharky. There are 7 billion people on this planet, Davina, and you have to go for my best friend?!''

''You know Sharky's my type! It was obvious i was going to like him!''

''Yeah, and you know Davina is my type.'' Sharky shrugs.

''I don't care. This is weird. It's too weird.''

Sharky steps forward, putting an arm around my shoulders protectively and pulling me into him. I put my hands on his arm, and smile absent-mindely.

''I like her, Aj. I'm not playing her.'' Sharky explains.

''I don't care.''

''What are you saying, Aj?'' I ask.

He shrugs, scoffing slightly. ''I don't want you together.''

''What?!'' Sharky and I yell in unison.

The boys were all watching, not really caring up until that point, but it suddenly became very awkward. They all muttered some excuse to leave, and then walked away. Niko stayed for a few minutes, but decided he should leave aswell. The three of us that remained waited, and then Aj began to talk.

He looked at Sharky. ''She's my cousin! I don't want you to hurt her.''

''I wouldn't-''

He looked at me. ''He's my best friend! I don't want you dating him.''

''Well, it's tough because-''

''No it's not.'' he answered, shaking his head. ''I'm older than you, and we're related, and you and sharky aren't together anymore.''

I felt so many different emotions at once. I was hurt, upset, angry. I even felt betrayed that my own cousin would do this.

''Aj, man, you can't-''

''Whatever, bro.'' Aj said, cutting Sharky off. ''You could have any girl, and you had to pick my cousin.''

Me and sharky looked at each other. This was worse than i thought. My worse case scenario was a couple of questions and Aj being mad for a few moments. I never thought he would've done this. Sharky removed his arm from around my shoulders, and I immediately felt uncomfortable. He kissed me once, and then looked at me.

''You'll be fine, right?''

''No.'' i whispered, shaking my head.

''Neither.'' he said, letting out a shaky breath. ''We can date in secret again, right?''

I looked at Aj, and then back to sharky. ''I think he'll keep me locked up until I die.''

Sharky hugged me, kissing the top of my head. ''I'm sorry, Davina.''

''It's not your fault.''

''Break it up.'' Aj instructed.

Sharky pulled away from the hug. He looked at me for a few moments, and then walked away, through the carpark. I watched him for a second, and then looked at Aj angrily.

''What the fuck are you doing?!''

''This is for your own good, D!''

''No! I was so happy with Sharks, and you ruined it!'' I yelled, my voice breaking slightly. I turned away, beginning to walk through the carpark.

''Davina, get in the car.''

''I don't want to be near you, Aj.'' I cried, continuing to walk so that he couldn't see my tears.

He tried shouting after me a few times, but I didn't bother to turn around. I was so angry at him. My heart hurt, and I began to sob as I walked. I barely knew the way home, but I refused to go back to my cousin. I just wanted to see Sharky. I wanted to know how he felt about it. I knew how I felt - I could physically feel the pain inside of me.

I heard a car beep behind me, but I kept walking. It would be Aj, pleading with me to get into the car, but I didn't want to see him. The car beeped again, and then pulled up just behind me. I sighed and then turned. The tears were blurring my vision, but I could tell it wasn't Aj's car.

Sharky climbed out. ''Davina.''

I looked at him.

He looked at me.

And then we both cried.