07

Donghyun asked Yebin a bunch of questions but the girl only answered a few before leaving him on read. She would rarely answer his calls and wouldn't reply to messages.

Donghyun sometimes felt frustrated but he knows he deserves it. So he stopped texting her until that day in the park when he spoke with Yerin for the first time.

Back to the present

Donghyun tried to let it go but he couldn't stand to see Boeun so happy. He grabbed his coat and left the cafe with the boys following him.

" Hyung, are you okay? "

" Yeah, thanks for the update guys. I'll head home now. You can go home for tonight's, Wish hyung "

" Ah, okay. Be careful "

Donghyun nodded and got into the car. He drove out of the driveway and headed home. Along the while, he didn't know why but he missed Yebin so much.

He dialled her number on the screen and waited for her to pick up. He was expecting a voice mail or no answer but he was surprised when she picked up.

" Hello? "

A groggy voice answered from the other line. Donghyun couldn't contain himself and stopped the car, he cried.

Yebin could hear his sobs and just sat quiet. Donghyun began apologising about the past, how he regrets divorcing her and all the things he did to her. How she let Yerin go just so that they could meet and other sacrifices.

" Are you okay? "

" I'm sorry "

" Yah, the past is in the past. It hurts me to hear you cry, please stop "

" I'm sorry "

" Keum Donghyun. Will you listen to me? "

" Mm "

" I accepted what you did to me. It helped me to realise how much of a bad mother I was. I was too busy helping you make ends meet that I didn't realise that I ignored our children. But after having Yerin, I vowed to take care of her better. My illness is not the only punishment I deserve. I definitely deserve this so please don't cry "

" How could you say that you deserved this? "

" My friend, I've been hurt too many times remember? You divorcing me was nothing but a reminder to be thankful that I have kids and should've treated them better "

" Why are you calling me, 'a friend'? "

" Because that's what I think of us as. I mean we aren't anything at this moment, aren't we? "

" But what if I say that I want you back "

Yebin was quiet for a while. Donghyun thought he had messed up and wanted to apologise when Yebin replied.

" Even if we did get back together, I have less than a year to live. Will you be okay with it? "

Yebin broke the news to him with a heavy heart. She tried her best to fight back her tears. She couldn't imagine that she's leaving them like this.

" What do you mean? Didn't they say you were getting better? How come-? "

" Shhh, it's okay. I'm okay. It's just that it's overgrown in me already and there's no way to save me "

" I'll get you a specialist. We'll book an appointment and get you checked and then- "

" I don't want that "

" What do you mean? Why? "

" I think I've lived enough in this life. I should accept my fate and so should you, okay? "