24| ''You're Not Alone''

A/N: Timely Update for y'all ;)

"Do you even know what he has gone through? You will say nothing, he is probably terrified because of everything that happened", Draco heard a familiar voice.

"Ethan, I understand, but it's difficult. He is a Slytherin in the same year as Alexander. I need to make sure he survives. This is war- the beginning of one", another familiar voice said seriously, beside him.

Draco's thoughts became blurry again. It must be because of those nasty potions of Pomfrey. He tries to open his eyes but they were too heavy. So, he lay there, half awake, half asleep, listening to the incoherent murmurs of two familiar voices that he couldn't put a finger on.

"I know that the real thing is just beginning. And I know that it'll get even worse by the upcoming Mabon Fire when you will have claimed your Peverell Lordship and made it public knowledge. But I don't want Draco getting stuck in the crossfire of this war. He is too young", Ethan- it was his voice- said, almost pleading.

"You are young too, Ethan, so is Neville, and so is Tierra. I will try to keep them far away from the battle, but it will be impossible. They have their demons, their reasons and their choices to make. Protect Draco but don't shelter him. He needs this; he needs to learn some real spellwork. Transfiguring matchsticks to needles isn't going to help anyone", if the other one had been Ethan... then this might be Hadrian.

"I hate you for putting me on the horns of a dilemma like this. If I say yes, then the Dark Lord will want him in the ranks, if I refuse... he dies because he was ill-prepared. Ask Draco, when he wakes up. I won't let Father decide this, nor will Mother, I will lay it out for him and he can do it", Ethan sighed and Draco could just imagine the way his brother would have squeezed his eyes shut to stop himself from saying or doing anything stupid.

"Well, he seems awake enough. Draco, open your eyes", Hadrian said, softly.

Draco hadn't thought that he would ever associate the term 'soft' with his pseudo brother, but there was no other way to describe his voice at that moment.

He opened his right eye a bit and peeked a little to find his two brothers staring at him, looking thoroughly unamused with him.

"You don't need to answer now, but do it soon. I have to begin Neville's and Tierra's defense training too", Hadrian said, expectantly.

Draco was stumped here. He had heard a snippet of their conversation but hadn't been able to decide just yet. Hadrian said it like it was important to do this, but Ethan's words refuted it. Then, Draco did something that was both brave and stupid.

"Yes, I- I'll do it", Draco blurted out suddenly.

Ethan's eyes flew open and his hand stopped rubbing his temple. He stared at Draco with an unreadable look in his eyes. Draco, puzzled by his brother's stare, looked away and hid inside the blanket that had been lying at his side.

"That was fast. Are you sure that you've thought this through? It's a big decision", Ethan asked with a strangely strained voice.

"I feel that if Peverell and Longbottom can do it, so can I", Draco beamed proudly.

"That's good for you Draco. You should be sure of your capabilities", Hadrian praised, but he pointedly stared at Ethan.

Then, he simply got up and walked out of the infirmary. Ethan wordlessly tucked him in and ran a hand through his hair.

Hadrian strode into the Library, quietly taking a random book off the nearest shelf. He slipped into a seat by the window and stared outside into the evening sky. He picked at his nails subconsciously and stared at the Castle Grounds. They were frosty, just like him.