Chapter 15

Christian

This woman is going to be the death of me. Letting Logan into this cabin, allowing him to touch her, hear her voice, defying me in front of him and making plans in front of me. Looks like she forgot that I don't do well with people trying to take what belongs to me and she certainly does. Obviously, I know she can't be owned as she is her own person in her own right, but if I had the option to lock her away in this cabin for only me to have and enjoy, I certainly would take that option.

I'm glad I walked in on them when I did, because if I had to leave that conversation to continue Logan would probably have told her about what Sarah told him. Having heard the slight crack in his voice, I am one hundred percent sure Sarah told him about what happened four years ago. I couldn't let her hear it from somebody other than me. I should probably be mad at Sarah for spilling her guts, but I know it's unfair from me to expect her to keep something that big to herself. I am surprised she even held out for so long and haven't mentioned anything to Leah sooner.

I walk to the living room and wait for Leah to come back inside after she said goodbye to Logan. I can't hold out on her any longer. I have to tell her about what happened and I have to do it before the day is over. I watch as she enters the front door gracefully and as I was about to apologize for reacting the way I did back there, my phone started ringing. It's one of my men I left in charge back at the office. I take the call and she roll her eyes, obviously pissed at me, rightfully so. She walks past me to go back to her room and I grab her hand, she turns and looks at me with daggers in her eyes. That should not turn me on as much as it does, but here I am. I plead with my eyes for her to wait until this call is over and she walks over to sit on the couch in front of the fireplace.

"What is it? I told you to only call me if it is life and death." I say, trying to keep myself from yelling. The other end of the call falls quiet. "Did the cat get your tongue? What the fuck is going on?!" I start to lose some of the self – control I was trying to hold onto. "It's Sarah, boss." The words take me by surprise and of everything I expected him to say, that was certainly not it. I turn to Leah as she's patiently waiting for me to get done with this call. If only she knew. I walk to my room and close the door to continue the conversation.

"What about her?" I whisper yell. I had security installed in and around her apartment as well, because she's Leah's best friend and also so I can know Leah is safe when they're there. "We've lost all eyes on her since last night." The voice on the other end hesitates. "How the fuck did you manage to do that?!" I couldn't hold back anymore and I full on shouted. At that moment, my door flew open with a pissed Leah, but there's some concern taking over her features. There's silence on the other end of the call and I pinch the bridge of my nose trying to collect my thoughts. There's just so much happening all at once, this was the last thing I needed.

"I'll be at the office in an hour. Get Logan and the other men ready to leave tonight." I end the call with the order. How am I going to explain this to Leah. I don't want to leave her here all by herself. I'll have men watch over her, but I wanted to be here while she worked on the cabin project. "I have to leave now. It's work." I try to say as calm as possible. I don't want to alarm her before I know what's going on and how serious the situation is.

"Of course, you do." She says making it clear that she isn't happy with me at all. Tell me something I don't know. I can't seem to do anything right when it comes to her. I make the most stupid decisions and react on impulse when it comes to her and that normally never happens to me. I own an entire company, I can't afford to make rash decisions when it comes to making them, but here she is, throwing my sanity out the window. 

"Leah, please. I need to handle this situation at the office and as soon as I get back, I'll give you answers." She takes a moment to process what I've said and then replies, "Fine, but then I want answers to every question I have. No picking and choosing what you want to answer. No more "you're not ready yet" because you've had enough time to be ready. I'm the one who's had to wonder, guess and live without answers for four years."

"Fine." I simply say, because I know it's time that she finally hears the truth. There's no more talking myself out of it and I'm definitely not disappearing from her life again to run from that day. "Fine?" she repeats as if that wasn't a good enough answer. "No, not just "fine" Christian. Give me your word. Not that it means much anymore, but I can't live like this anymore. You've been nothing but unfair to me. Disappearing without an explanation, walking up to me and asking if it's me like you couldn't remember who I was, trying to keep Logan away from me, throwing this project on me, forcing us to share this cabin and then telling me that YOU need time before telling me why the fuck you left like YOU'RE the one that didn't have any answers!" She pushes my shoulders with her last word, on the verge of crying and I pull her into a hug. That's the last thing I need right now, because then I'll never be able to leave and go find her best friend.

"I promise. I'll answer every question you have, take every punch and curse word you want to throw my way, because believe me...you will want to and I do deserve it. All I ask of you is that you'll listen and not run from me. I know it's unfair of me to ask, but I can't lose you again, Leah. I won't survive it. My heart won't survive it" I'm out of breath by the last word and my heart is pounding against my chest.

"I can't promise you that Christian. You were the one that disappeared from my life, remember? You did that to yourself...and to me. The difference between you and I was that you made the choice to run and leave me. I just had to accept it and, believe me, I never really accepted it." The pain in her voice is evident. How the hell am I supposed to leave here now?

"I know. I'm sorry." I say, knowing that sorry doesn't even come close to fixing anything and taking her pain away. "I have to leave now if I want to be back by tomorrow, but I hear you and I heard everything you've said. We'll talk as soon as I get back. Just hold on a little bit longer for me, baby. Please." I hug her again and hold her like that for a moment. Just us, here like this, gives me strength for whatever I'm about to have to take on.

What do we think happened to Sarah? 

Anddd, are you guys ready to find out what happened 4 years ago between Leah and Christian? 

The next two chapters are going to be a hell of a ride! 

Thank you for reading Back to strangers and please vote!

All my love, Charne 💕