[2] Three For A Dollar

Three For A Dollar

Three For A Dollar

St. George, Utah
Present Day

Dignified looking in his crisp business suit, Auxiliary President Geoffrey Graham wasn't feeling well when he got off the plane. He had just arrived home from the weekend trip he took every year to the Spring, LDS Leadership Conference in Salt Lake City.

He usually drove to the event but this year his time was limited so he, with several of his fellow wards opted to take the short flight from St. George, Utah, to the massive gathering in the beautiful 21,000 seat Convention Center nestled in the heart of Utah's busy Metropolis.

He liked to attend the April meetings as it gave him the opportunity to meet with leaders from all over the world, and this year he even scored an in-depth interview with that British journalist from the BBC, Markus Devaney, who promised it would be seen far and wide as part of a special report series he had been working on about the Latter Day Saints and their Overseas Missionary Organizations.

He made sure the journalist knew that he never missed these meetings because he always came away with a refreshed sense of duty toward his community. Markus had told him about the many people he had met and their stories, even showing him some of the film clips from the other interviews he had done. He had just come from India, and lastly North Africa, before finishing up here in Salt Lake City.

Geoffrey Graham was undeniably happy to have been a part of it and told Markus how much he appreciated him and his hard work. All in all, it had been an amazing trip, but Geoff was relieved to be so close to home.

The airport was crowded, which wasn't uncommon, but the heat today seemed abnormally hot, even for Utah. He trudged sluggishly through throngs of happy spring break travelers but didn't make it far before having to sit down.

Perspiration dotted his forehead and he tried to moisten his dry lips with his tongue to no avail, because his mouth was too dry to do any good. A clammy sensation washed over him, and he felt disoriented. If he could just get home and rest, he thought hazily as fear gripped his mind.

He didn't want to pass out right in the middle of the airport, but that's exactly what he did when he stood up.

From somewhere far away he heard the horrified shrieks of passers by and then all went dark.

Good Samaritan Hospital in St. George, Utah received Geoffrey Graham at 7:40 pm and rushed him immediately into emergency triage.

At 6:00 am the next morning they pronounced him dead.

At 10:00 am his family was arguing with the hospital and the CDC over his body.

At 11:00 am Geoffrey sat up as the coroner sliced into his chest cavity for a routine autopsy, and sunk his bloodied teeth into the side of the man's face.

The coroners screams reverberated through the halls of the hospital basement but were only heard by two maintenance men who came to his assistance and were likewise bitten by both the coroner and his dead patient, barely escaping the fate of becoming a full meal but not from becoming a victim of a fast spreading virus they would themselves begin to feel.