[24] Gather The Lillies

Gather The Lilies

Gather The Lilies

They gathered that night on the veranda behind the restaurant where Buck cooked a savory deer meat stew on the grill. Donelle said a short prayer for Nathan and Lara's return and Haven chimed in for Seth and Cole, but it was Neala's simple six year old gesture which reminded them of the fleeting brevity of life when she ran up to her dad after the amen and showed him a handful of wildflowers she had picked from the overgrown garden near the veranda. "These are for Mommy," she said, "can we give them to her?"

Haven burst into tears and Deag choked back his own emotions even as tears filled up his eyes at the sight of his little girl standing there with an innocent smile.

He picked her up and hugged her, whispering what she wanted to hear and giving everyone a strained smile.

Donelle got up right away and went to them giving Deag a pat on the back. "Of course we can honey," she said looking around. "Thank you for picking these for Mommy! She will love them, won't she now," Donelle reassured her.

Everyone agreed and complimented Neala for her thoughtfulness and she smiled, handing off the flowers to her grandma and hugging her dad.

Buck, who was now hard pressed not to cry, gruffly announced that supper was ready and started dipping stew into Styrofoam cups and passing them out. Len passed out cornbread he had cooked in an iron skillet over the fire, and everyone ate in silence, each contemplating the enormity of the situation. They didn't want to. As strange as the setting was, and why they were there, it was somehow familiar and Deag finally broke the solitude.

"We should have done things like this more often," he chided lightly.

Buck and Donelle nodded.

"Yeah," Mark agreed. "But we can't beat ourselves up Deag, we just had no way of knowing."

Sherri even got up and went and hugged Deag. "Here's the thing Deag, we always have this in our hearts. Almost all of us struggle living too far from our family and friends. But we're here now and we'll make the most of it."

Hollis and Verbena standing near Len and Buck held up their cups. "Here's to family. Far and wide," Hollis declared.

Verbena smiled and gave her husband a kiss on the cheek.

Donelle hugged her grandkids and Sherri asked Buck for seconds on the stew. "I'm starving, I'm not gonna lie. I was starting to feel lightheaded." His head bobbled with pride and Len grinned, looking around to see who would ask next when he noticed Haven.

She sat uncomfortably on her chair, but it was her ashen color that concerned him. He went to her and bent down.

"Haven? Are you feeling okay?"