[32] The Next Three Days

The Next Three Days

The Next Three Days

Len and Buck returned three days later to the uproar of what they had missed, and Seth took their back slapping like a champ.

Rois, Neala and Payton were enchanted with the baby and bugged Haven relentlessly with questions, and Neala's main matter of interest was her name.

Haven explained to her that she had given Seth the job of naming the baby so Neala took to pestering him daily to find out what it would be. Secretly everyone else wondered as well, so no one made any attempt to stop her constant inquisition.

Len assured him there was really no rush, telling him how most native tribes could take up to a month to name their children, with the naming of a child being a great honor. Seth liked that and promised Neala she would be the first person he told. She was placated with his promise and went off to brag about it.

Seth and Haven now spent their days in quiet togetherness, surrounding themselves with each other and the tiny baby, almost in seclusion at times. Seth, cherishing their intimate moments and the two girls he had grown more in love with day by day. The moments were always sweet, and he marveled over the tiny infant who grabbed his finger and held it so tightly, even the way she had taken to the breast and his heart swelled with pride at Haven's new motherly gentleness.

He was infatuated by every little thing about her, and the tiny girl he now called his daughter.

Verbena finally eased up on him, and began to realize most of her stress had been waiting for Haven. Now that the hard part was over she breathed a sigh of relief.

In the weeks that followed, as Seth and Haven's relationship strengthened, Len, Hollis, Nathan, Deag and Buck spent more and more time in secretive talks out by the fire. When Lara tried prying Nathan for what it was all about, he found a way to change the subject until she was furious.

"Look. I want to know what the lot of you are planning, Nathan, this is ridiculous," she ranted. She had forced him to walk with her and when they were a goodly distance from being overheard, she confronted him.

But Nathan knew what she was up to. He also knew she was through with excuses. He steeled himself for the onslaught and she didn't disappoint him. He let her spend her emotions and while she was getting a breath for another round, he rested a hand on her shoulder. "I'm going to tell you everything."

She opened her mouth to refute his stubbornness, realized what he said, and nothing came out but an, "Oh, you are?"

He nodded, pushed her hair away from her face and kissed her lips with fervor, but she pushed back thinking it was merely a ploy to distract her. He smiled and took a breath. "Kiss me Lara and you'll have my whole confession." He slipped a hand behind her head, into her hair and the other caressed her heaving breasts.