[29] No Good Beginning

No Good Beginning

No Good Beginning

Seth cried. Monica cried too, but for different reasons. Cole sat in rigid unbelief, his heart shattering with every beat. His blood pressure beat like a drum in his ears and finally a desperate howl erupted from deep inside. Len and Hollis stood clustered around him, holding his shaking body as the wracking sobs jolted his husky frame. The unrequited grief took its toll on everyone who had been close to Mark, Sherri and Bretta. Even Len shed the tears that had been pent up inside since the tragic deaths of those they had loved. It hadn't seemed real at first, but the truth was, none of this had seemed real, even as the stories came out and the coincidences became clear, the facts Nate and Lara had discovered were beyond remorse. They were cruel, in the darkest sort of way.

Everyone was gathered in the small dining room of Spruce Tree Terrace, where Nate and Lara sat at a table surrounded by the others with the opened briefcase in front of them. Their emotions spent, an uncomfortable silence ensued, which Len broke by saying they needed to hold a funeral.

Of course, it was agreed, and then Nate stood up.

"I'm just going to start this, because there is no good beginning. Everyone here without a Native American Bloodline, is subject to MCHVc. Don't ask me why, or how. The science is foreign to both Lara and me. Like we said before back at my mother's it was a bio-virus incubated in North Africa. Babies were injected with the virus, killing them within twenty-four hours." Nate hated to have to tell them how it got here, but it was in the notes so studiously kept by Claira Lottridge.

"They tested it in babies?" Keith asked with an unbelieving scowl.

"That would be true," Nathan replied reluctantly.

"Sick muther fuckers," Keith mumbled beneath his breath.

"It was never survivable, it was created in underground labs, somewhere in North Africa. An unknown patient zero contracted it and the virus was spread unknowingly in a matter of days. No one could do anything to stop it. It's a thousand times more volatile than any flu-like disease. It spreads through the bodily fluids but unlike a virus this spreads through a bite. The incubation period is the time it takes for the victim to die. Then, they change. Become rabid."

"When you do begin to show symptoms, death comes quick. Within hours," Keith added. "I saw it with my own eyes. We couldn't successfully save one patient and every single one turned into one of those things."

Lara nodded. "But Sherri was bitten. Now maybe her bite barely broke the skin, I don't know because she and Mark hid it from us."

"The bite acts differently Lara," Keith told her. "Native Americans may be immune, from the catalyst, which was the virus, but as for being immune from the bite, I'm not sure that's the case and I wouldn't place any bets on it right now."

"Now," Lara took a deep breath, "we have an issue to solve. Haven told us the Pregnancy Center residents were made to receive some kind of vaccine but she didn't get it because she had been staying with Seth. Sadly there is no way for us to know what happened to any of those girls. We have here what we believe they were injected with, but we don't know for sure. There are many more pages of documents to sift through.