[28] Small Talk

Small Talk

Small Talk

Seth told them about the fires and when they reached Monticello, they found his burned-out truck where he'd left it out of gas. "We may as well head out to Mesa Verde. The others will be there. It was Len's bug out location," Seth remarked sadly.

"Wow, no shit, Seth?" Keith asked trying desperately to repair any bad feelings Seth was surely harboring.

"Yeah. Him and a guy, Nathan O'Connor, worked on it for years. I just hope they all made it ok," Seth added, suddenly thinking of Haven. His heart twinged. His Mom hadn't liked Haven one bit. It was only thing that ever really caused arguments between them. He grit his teeth. He just couldn't let himself go there.

"Who all was with them?" Keith asked unbelievingly.

"Everyone." Seth sighed. "Hollis, Verbena, Bretta, Haven, Nate and his family and some of his other friends."

"Bretta?" Monica echoed. "Great. She'll want to beat my ass when she sees me," she mumbled under her breath.

Cole gave her a look, and added a stern warning. "Just keep your shit straight and you won't have to worry. I mean it too."

Monica said nothing in response and Seth was grateful. He didn't want to have to take sides, but he knew if push came to shove Cole and his ex would have to hit the road.

When they reached the impasse right outside Cortez, the sun was starting its descent. Cole muttered a curse as he pulled to a stop and he and Seth looked at each other in apprehension. The road was  completely blocked. It was one thing for them to trek miles out of town to reach their destination, but Monica and Payton would never make it.

"Damn, Seth, what are we gonna do?"

"Wait here," Keith said from the back seat. He got out and trotted off crossing the other side of the road and disappearing from sight.

"What's he doing?" Cole breathed.

"Looking for a vehicle I'm sure," Seth informed him cynically. "Mom said he had a gift, you know, he was from L.A."

Cole smiled anyway. "Excellent. Everyone should have a back-up profession. Let's get our things out and be ready."

As assumed, Keith ran up moments later and told them all to hurry. He had found an old beater at a convenience store. The Wagoneer looked like it was on its last leg, but it was what they needed, and they loaded everything in, and Seth jumped behind the wheel and they headed up the San Luis Skyway and on to Mesa Verde Park.

As they drove Keith tried to tell Seth what he could about the situation they left behind at the hospital. Remarkably, Seth thanked him. He had only met Keith a few times, but he was thankful the man had the sense to get them out of there. He reiterated to Keith that where they were going, they would be far from the reach of any virus and there was no longer any need to worry.