[19] Hit Or Miss

Hit or Miss

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Hit or Miss

Lara awoke to the gentle pressure of a hand over her mouth. Her eyes flew open, but it was only Nathan.

"Shhh," he indicated with a finger to his lips.

She removed his hand with a frown. "Is something wrong?" she beseeched quietly.

"No," he returned casually, "I just want to sneak out of here before daylight." He sat down on the bed and brushed the dark sable layers of her hair from her face.

His closeness was intoxicating, and she sat up and threw off the coverlet. "What are you doing!" she spat knocking his hand away. "Have you completely lost your mind?"

"I was only checking the bump on your forehead, Halburg," he chastened her. "You slept in your clothes?" He changed the subject deftly.

"I forgot to bring in my duffle." Her answer was monotone.

"Want me to get it for you?"

"That would be great," she replied immediately.

Anything to get his body some distance from hers. He got up and left and she jumped up and ran down the hall to the bathroom they had passed last night. When she returned to the room her duffle was on the bed and Nathan, thankfully, was not.

It wasn't that she disliked him. Quite the contrary was true, but these emerging feelings left her disoriented and unfocused. Perhaps he was just being maternal. Lara had no idea, but after the heated exchange the night before she wasn't sure about anything. She got dressed silently, made the bed, grabbed the suitcase of paperwork and went to find him.

She entered the great room to find him having coffee with Hollis, Verbena and Donelle. The dogs, Biggie and Yolo trotted over to greet her, their tails wagging. The dogs were almost twins except that one of them had white sock paws. She scratched their heads and received copious licks for her effort. Nathan smiled, and called them to go lay down, which they promptly did, at his feet.

"Which one is yours?" Lara asked offhandedly.

"Watch," Nathan quipped spiritedly, "Yolo, sit."

Instantly, the dog with the white paws sat right up.

"Good boy!" Nate rewarded him boisterously. "And the other one is Biggie. He belongs to Len."

Donelle brought Lara a travel cup filled with coffee and Lara noticed that someone had set up a butane camp stove in the kitchen which Donelle was using to percolate coffee in a metal coffee pot. Lara couldn't help but smile at the dogs, and the hot coffee improved her mood.

Hollis and Verbena, as she now knew, were part of Len's family said good morning and asked how her head was feeling, noting that the bump had already gone down.

BLOODLINE The Last Sanctuary | A Novel | By @WendyyWolfeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें