[12] A Family Standard

A Family Standard

A Family Standard

July Fourth weekend. Synonymous with O'Connor family picnics and fun. Fireworks, food and patriotism, going to town for the big fireworks displays.

An event the O'Connor children, Rois and Neala dearly loved.

It had been a family standard for years, for them and people across America. But this year the news warned against travel and forbade it at all in several states across the nation.

Deaglan sat on the couch and watched the continued military news bulletins with their ominous projections concerning the stability of the nation and how important it was to continue to shelter in place.

He had already figured that out, unfortunately.

A dark haze had settled over his thoughts and his mood followed suit. He knew he was spiraling into a black hole, but he couldn't help it.

His emotions ran rampant and regret insulted the things he had managed to accomplish these last few years and now his world was falling completely apart. He thought he had been happy, but had he been? He questioned his thoughts like an inquisition of his own reality.

And where was Nate? Just where was he in all this mayhem. Deag needed him now more than ever, and he stood up to pace the floor yet again and try to imagine what Nate would have done or said in this situation. His brother had tried to warn him. Several times, in fact. In fact, most of the time. But like so many others, Deag had stubbornly refused to listen. Was this his punishment? He wondered aimlessly. Could his brother have been right all along?

It sure seemed he had, to Deag. Hell, Deag thought, he didn't know what was right anymore.

Conspiracy theories bombarded his brain with accusations, taunting his mockery of them. He ran his hands through his curled tufts of bronze hair as insanity gripped him.

A time Nate had tried to introduce him to some guy, Len Cloud, floated to his memory. Just watch the videos, Nate had said.

To Deag's credit, he had clicked the link Nathan had sent and watched. He would just watch one. He ended up watching the whole series. The weather beaten and leathery looking host, claiming to be of Puebloan descent, Len Cloud-Song, someone Deag viewed as right outside the fringes of reality, conveniently claiming to have an inside source, ranted that it, T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I., was direly true and opposed to what he usually taught he had now discovered it would more than likely be a man-made cause, and it would lead to the destruction of the human race with only the strongest able to survive including but not limited to themselves, of course, because they would all be protected in their iron bunkers.

Deaglan had clicked out at that point.

But he had heard enough to give cause for thought, especially after Nathan had confided about those classified papers.