[25] Ruins

Ruins

Ruins

By the time they had reached Monticello, Nathan and Lara discovered the ugly fate that wildfires had spread through the region, ripping a swath of destruction for miles. They stopped on the road in front of what was left of the diner, got out and stared transfixed at what had become of the world they knew.

As Nathan surveyed the scene, he concluded that the gas drum behind the diner had exploded and leveled everything around it only adding to the fire ravaged countryside stretched out all around them. A nasty pungent haze hung in the air and Nathan doubted anything of his mother's home could have survived.

A few abandoned vehicles now sat like burned out heaps and the stark, black skeletons of charred trees, some still glowing with red embers embedded inside the incinerated trunks smoldered, sending thin trails of smoke into the afternoon sky.

"Let's get out to Mesa Verde. I'll drive."

"Mesa Verde?" Lara echoed.

"Yeah. I guess I failed to mention that. I'll explain on the way."

Nathan got behind the wheel and they drove off toward Cortez.

They reached interstate 491 and Nathan sped along only slowing down as he neared the entrance to the Geological Center and then because a familiar car was sitting at the entrance. Nathan slammed on the brakes and pulled in rolling down his window and throwing the Tahoe in park.

He jumped out greeting the man behind the wheel who also got out. They grabbed each other in a hand shake both smiling like school boys.

"Ed Brody! You made it through!"

"I did Nate! I bunked down in the basement of the center. I was heading to Cortez when I heard the news and came straight here. Everyone was gone and I didn't want to chance a hotel. I tried calling you a dozen times to let you know but of course I never reached you. Where have you been?"

"I couldn't begin to tell you Ed. Go park your car and come with us. Its safe where were going."

The man nodded and Nathan followed him back to the parking lot explaining to Lara that he was the lead professor who often worked with Nate at the college. He was the founder of the Geological Center, and someone Nate trusted. The man parked his car, got several items from his trunk and jumped in the back seat. Nathan introduced Lara and they headed out.

Outside of Cortez however, reality hit them head on. Right outside the city where 160 and E. Main street split it was impassable. A jam of abandoned vehicles had clogged the intersection and surrounding space leaving it plugged for any further possible way through. Denny Park lake to the right and the cemetery to the left. Nathan pulled off the road and parked behind a restaurant.

"Well, we'll have to walk from here. Think you can do it Lara?"

She nodded.

"Okay. There isn't much daylight left but that will be better for us. We'll stick to the road until it becomes San Juan Skyway and then we move inland. We'll follow the road from a distance. We should make it by morning or just before if we can."