𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞. cousins beach

THE SUMMER breeze was such a familiar feeling to Teddy Kreese

   THE SUMMER breeze was such a familiar feeling to Teddy Kreese. The distinct smell of the salt water coming from the ocean and the comforting street sign that read, "Cousins Beach."

Her family stayed there with her best friends every summer. Three families, one home. The Conklins, Fishers, and Kreese' families came together like family. Each year was the same.

"Bear, I need you to help me this summer," Teddy's head turned as her dad spoke to her softly, "Mhm? With what?"

"Well, your mom won't be joining us this summer. Your the boss in this family, right after me." Trey rolled his eyes from the backseat, "I'm the second boss, actually."

"Oh, really? There is drool on my seat." Trey quickly wiped it off, scoffing in annoyance. Teddy chuckled, looking back at her dad, "You knew mom wasn't gonna come. She never does." Teddy shrugged, "Plus, she can stay right wherever she is." Sam laughed, ruffling his daughters hair before taking his eyes back on the road.

"Trey," she quickly pointed to the drink she wanted in which he quickly opened and jugged right in front of her. He only threw her the empty bottle and she quickly threw it back at his head slapping his leg roughly. "Ow!" He shouted, smacking her hand.

Sam sighed deeply, trying to ignore his fighting kids whilst he stepped on the gas, trying to get to the destination as fast as possible.

But, Jeremiah Fisher was eagerly waiting at the island table, bouncing his leg nervously. He was finally seeing his best friends after so long. He wondered how much they've changed. If they would still have that bond. But, most of all he would see his favorite person in the world. Teddy.

Yes, they've talked countless times during the school year but, nothing beats seeing her for the first time. It's almost every year something about her is different. But, she never changes.

So, when he finally heard that car pull in, his heart pumped in his chest as he quickly ran out the door.

The first person he saw was Laurel Conklin, and he didn't hesitate to run to hug her, "Long time no see!" He smiled, "Good to see you," she chuckled along. Steven came out, almost immediately going to talk about his abs, "You've been hitting the gym bro?" Steven teased, softly hugging him.

Teddy didn't even let her dad fully park and she was jumping out of the car to see everyone, "Teddy!" Her dad scolded, and Jeremiah's head turned.

"There she is!" Steven smiled widely, hugging the girl. Her and Steven were like two peas in a pot. They were always doing something stupid, the two were always in trouble when they were kids and it's always been that way.

Jeremiah watched her in awe as she greeted everyone. She looked so different. But, so real.
"There's my best girl." Susanna cheered happily, wrapping her arms tightly around her. Her giggle echoed his ears and she finally saw him.

Her gaze softened at the sight of him, her smile lightly fading. "Is that who I think it is?" Jeremiah rubbed his eyes teasingly and she giggled, "Well, duh," she teasingly walking towards him, "Don't cream your pants."

He laughed loudly before picking her up in a hug, spinning her around once, hearing her laughter in his ear. "Okay, okay!" She lightly slapped his shoulder as he put her down in a hurry.

"Jeremiah, your hogging my best friend!" Belly shouted from behind them and Teddy immediately pushed him out the way, rushing to hug the girl. "Wow." Jeremiah joked, moving to say hi to Trey.

"Belly, your even prettier than last year!" She quickly admired the girl, "Your one to talk." Teddy rolled her eyes playfully, "We have so much to check up on." Belly shook her head quickly, before they were stopped.

"Hey, guys I don't know about you but I think it's time for a belly flop!" Teddy laughed to herself as watched the boys drag her towards the pool. She quickly grabbed her bags carrying them in with struggle.

Sam and the moms were in the kitchen before hearing the door quickly shut and dragging against the floor. The grunting made them poke their heads from the room only to see a curly haired girl, dragging a huge bag against the floor. "Oh my god, Teddy." Susannah laughed at the girl.

"Hm?" Her head perked up, from at the bottom of the stairs. "I told you not to bring that bag." Sam shook his head at his daughter, "Trey took the good bag!"

"No, I got it." Susannah and Laurel shook their heads at the pairs normal bickering. Even though he always won.

"Thanks, dad." Teddy's smile grew to herself as she looked around her bedroom. The comforting baby pink color on the walls lit her eyes, and her white bed sheets that Susannah would make up for her. It all was so nostalgic. It also had a very strong smell of paint and coconuts.

Her hand grazed at the necklace she left here every summer. It was a locket of the kids together. She would replace the picture every year that they took it. Jeremiah was the one who came up with the idea.

"Found your necklace?" A voice said from the door, and she knew who it was just by the sound of his voice. His voice had a hint of rasp and deepness in it, but it was also very soft and calming. "Yeah. I thought I lost this last summer."

"Well, you did. But, I have my ways on finding things." Jeremiah winked and that resulted in an eye roll, "Whatever. You can't hunt to save your life." His jaw dropped, "Take it back."

"It's so true tho." She giggled, hopping on the bed next to him. "How about we go to the beach? It's tradition." Teddy nodded passionately, lightly pushing him as to tell him to get out.

Every year on the first day they would go to the beach for hours just to talk about their year. Everybody would be so confused and wonder where they went. The first time they did it, Susannah almost had a heart attack when she found out they were missing for 3 hours, but once they came back, she couldn't help but be happy to see them bonding like that.

"And where are you going?" Trey crossed his arms, drinking out of his water bottle, "You know where I'm going." She rolled her eyes, grabbing a water out of the fridge. "Don't forget we gotta go to that party tonight." Teddy shrugged, "I'm not gonna go if Belly's not going, sorry."

"Seriously? Your my party partner, even though it hurts to look at you." Teddy scrunched up her face, "I'll talk to Belly and then maybe."

Jeremiah clapped at her arrival, "Didn't take you all but ten years. I think I might be wrinkling." Teddy lightly pushed his arm, "Did not."

"My moms not coming this summer either." She blurred out. Teddy always covered up her sadness of her mother with humor. She never really understood what her mother had against Cousins or her dad, but all she knew was that it hurt. "She promised though, didn't she?"

She shrugged, "You know, my mom. She bullshits everything she says." She was right. Every year it was a different excuse of why she couldn't come. It was getting old. "Hey, if she comes, she comes. Even if she doesn't I'm still gonna we are still here."

"Ew, I guess." Teddy rolled her eyes. "Ew?" He gasped dramatically, "Yeah, ew." They broke out into a laughter as he took her in his arms, squeezing her as they continued, "I'm gonna fall!"

Summer was her favorite time of the year. Because as she raced to the water, it was like a weight that disappeared off her shoulders. The water felt refreshing. As if your getting your first sip of water after hours and hours. The sun beamed off her skin, the water that he splashed on her face tickled her skin in all the right places.

"Belly! Hi, belly!" Teddy screamed from the water, only to be cut off by a quick body slam into the water. Isabel laughed, quickly dropping her towel as she ran to join them in the water.

Cousins beach was were home was.