𝐢. haunted

SHE REMEMBERED his touch

    SHE REMEMBERED his touch. The way his fingertips would graze her soft skin and his wavy hair would fall. Teddy remembered every detail about Jeremiah.

He haunted her. The constant reminder that she could no longer have him was just as bad as a bullet wound. She hated him in ways she shouldn't.

She wished she could call Susannah and tell her all about it but she couldn't. It wasn't long after she died and everyone was dealing with it on their own. Teddy sat in class, her textbook open as she started at nothing but the sky through the window.

She imagined Susannah looking down at her through the clouds, painting the sunrise every day with her blue apron on. Teddy couldn't fathom life without her. And now she lived that nightmare.

The bell rang causing her to jump, quickly packing up all her stuff. Everything poured out her bag at the quickness. She heard giggling from above her, looking up to see her friend, Rika. "Let me help you."

Teddy gave a smile back, "Thank you."

The two walked through the hallway, Teddy giving fake smiles from her cheer girls. "You still cheering?" Rika asked, opening her locker. "I don't know, actually."

Rika gave her a small smile, closing her locker as she leaned against her friends, "Need a distraction?" Teddy side eyed the girl, shaking her head as Rika laughed happily. "I knew it!"

Rika and Teddy have been friends since freshman year, but it wasn't till this year they got close. They got assigned lockers right next to eachother and the dark circles under Teddy's eyes didn't go ignored by the girl. Ever since then, they were each others comfort. Safe space, even.

Teddy couldn't deny she missed Isabel. She talked to her a couple weeks ago, but it is extremely awkward.

If Susannah was there she would demand them to make up, probably lock them in a room until they did even. But, she wasn't.

Teddy walked through her home, her brother behind her as they looked at their drunk dad on the couch. "You think he's okay?" Trey asked, making Teddy shrug. "Who is?" That question made him snap his head at her, opening his mouth to speak. "I don't wanna talk about it."

She stomped upstairs leaving her confused brother standing alone. He wondered why she shut him out. Why she didn't talk to her dad or him. He just wanted his sister.

Without Susannah it was hell amongst the group of teenagers. And the adults soaked in their own sadness aswell. Susannah was the glue and with out her it fell apart.

Teddy stared at the hoodie that laid on her floor, making her take in a deep breathe.

"So, Fisher," Teddy smiled, letting the ocean breeze hit her face as she turned her head, "Yes, Ms. Kreese?" Jeremiah smiled, moving the hair that flew in her face behind her ear.

"When we get back is everything gonna be the same?" Teddy asked, staring into his eyes, as his thumb crazed her cheek. His movement stopped and he lifted up his body, shaking his head. He looked around her face with a small smile. "Maybe," he said, making her nod as she looked towards the ocean before he pulled her chin to look back at him, "But, I promise we will try. Even if it means driving two hours every week just to see each other, I don't care."

Teddy smiled, nodding as he pulled her close to him, cradling her. He pressed a soft kiss to her lips, his hand leaning down to graze her waist before he felt the big fabric along her side. "Nice hoodie." He teased, leaning into her lips once again.

Teddy loathed him. She loathed herself the most, though. She sat on her bed, dropping the hoodie out of her hands. She moved her hands to her hair, taking a deep breath. It seemed as if she couldn't breath, putting a hand on her chest. It was like she could hear everything. The sirens from outside, the footsteps of her brother rushing up the stairs and the sound of Susannah's laughing. It was all to much.

She gripped her shirt with fear, trying to catch her breath. You would think the amount of times she has gone through this it would get easier. But, it never did.

Her eyes closed as she tried to focus. But, all she could see was Susannah. Her hand now flung up to grab the necklace around her neck, grasping it softly.

Everything around her was filled with memories. Filled with joy and sadness. Her room used to be a place to hide but now it was just a walking memory of the things she used to have. Teddy brought her knees up to her chest, looking away from her room at at the wall.

She tried to ignore the sound of her father downstairs, the sound of the tv echoing. She pitched herself lightly, closing her eyes. It was hard to remember all of this was real. She had caught herself picking up her phone to call Susannah throughout her day ever since the funeral but it is finally seeming to click.

Teddy walked through the Beach house. She had finally finished packing to go home. There was one person she had to see first.

"Hey, su." Susannah's face lit up immediately and if it wasn't already shining from the sun, it was now. She patted the step next to her, and she gladly sat down.

Teddy sighed, taking one last look at the beach view from the home. But, her eyes kept falling back on Susannah. "I'm proud of you." Susannah broke the silence with her words and Teddy immediately felt her heart pumping in her chest. "I'm proud of all of you. But, you are one of our strongest soldiers." Her breathing began to slow as she listened to her words, sending her a tight lipped smile.

"Mhm, I think your on the top of that list, I'm sure." Teddy managed to smile. Susannah let out a small laugh, wrapping her arm around the girls shoulder. Silence fell amongst them once again. Teddy could feel the warmth between them as she scooted closer.

"I'm scared to lose you." Teddy muffled, feeling Susannah wince at her words. The woman let out a soft chuckle, rubbing her shoulder.

"You won't lose me." The words carried so much security that she almost believed her. Teddy nodded against her, fighting back the tears that welled on her eyes. Teddy would've believed every word that came out of Susannah's mouth for the rest of her life if she could.

But she couldn't.

Her eyes slowly opened at the feeling of being tapped. The sun had barely began to rise and she was already seeing the sight of her brother. He had a worried expression on his face that scared her. "What's wrong?" Teddy asked with a worried tone, rubbing her eyes.

Trey gave her a knowing glare, shaking his head whilst he sighed. She sat up completely now, waiting to hear what he had to say.

"We need to go back to Cousins, Teddy."

>>>