(009) my tears ricochet

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"hello?" caleb answered her phone call.

"hi." she cleared her throat, "can we try to do this again? please? i owe you an explanation."

"sure. same place?"

"let's try another diner." she said.

"okay, i'm outside."

"what? already?" she was confused.

"after you stormed off looking all concerned, i followed you home to make sure you were okay." he said nonchalantly.

"oh. um- okay, gimme a sec, yeah?"

"take your time."

she ran to her room and touched up her makeup, her hair, and made sure she looked good.

she walked out the house and straight to the car, not realizing chris was staring at her, frowning.

"ready for take two?" he asked, watching her buckle her seatbelt.

"only if you are."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

she ordered tea, and a shared cake, while he ordered a strawberry milkshake.

"the simplest version of what's going on right now is that my parents left to italy and left me in charge of my three siblings. permanently."

"woah- what?"

"yeah, they're not coming back. and i guess i always was taking care of them, i was their mother figure their entire lives, but it's really different when i'll be their actual legal guardian in a couple months." she explained, "and i thought i'd be able to do all of this, but i guess i just need a really patient guy, one that wouldn't mind me standing him up all of a sudden when my siblings need me. can you be that? cause i'm not in any position to be wasting my time."

"yeah, i can be that." he nodded, "all the weed makes me real patient." he joked.

"no smoking around them." she laughed, but he knew she wasn't joking. he admired how put together she seemed, when in reality, she was far from it.

"who's with your siblings right now?" he asked curiously.

"chris. he's-"